What's new

Topographic map

neilr

HI all been away for sometime and glad to be back.
I have a new project and what I have will do but was hoping someone here might be able to help me improve my result.
Attached is a photo of a plot of land, 10 acres, next to the basic topo I drew up. I initially intended to loft the layers but I get a cusping error as there are to "'deep" inlets where the valleys are.
Any ideas on how to clean this up would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• CHalet TopoPhoto.png
    CHalet TopoPhoto.png
    1 MB · Views: 26

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Hi Neil, great to see you again. Been quite a while.

If you could get a greyscale bmp of this (or maybe create one yourself) then you could use ZSurf to create a 3D nurbs surface (relief) of your map. I usually then import the surface into Moi to 'box' it and make it solid, then import that into AD.

neilr

HI Bigseb, I will look into that and see how it works, though not sure how accurate that will be Z scale wise.. but will get zsurf and see.

Spent 2 years remodeling a property before I sold it, and my motherboard fried on me so I was only able to model on an old windows vista laptop, Alibre 12 ran fine on it so long as my assemblies were not to large, and I showed some patients.. Now I entered the 3D printing game so I will be doing a lot more designing I think. (Ender3 pro)

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The reason why there is a raised lip all around the relief is because there is a shadow around the land in the image. Gotta clean up the image image to get a neat relief.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
HI Bigseb, I will look into that and see how it works, though not sure how accurate that will be Z scale wise.. but will get zsurf and see.

Spent 2 years remodeling a property before I sold it, and my motherboard fried on me so I was only able to model on an old windows vista laptop, Alibre 12 ran fine on it so long as my assemblies were not to large, and I showed some patients.. Now I entered the 3D printing game so I will be doing a lot more designing I think. (Ender3 pro)
Ender 3 Pro... good choice. That's a popular printer. :)

neilr

Looks good for the large scale stuff and will be great when I get to building my Lowrider2, but I will have to play with the it a bit to see if I can get a good gradient that represents the actual height, those are 5' increments on my topo.