What's new

Total Alibre Lock-Up when accessing my Main Assembly

rmcard

I am having an issue where once I have clicked on my main assembly and it has loaded and appears on my computer screen Alibre is COMPLETELY locked up, no scrolling, clicking on buttons, panning etc. The only way I am able to get out of it is to CTRL-ALT-DEL and end Alibre in the Task Manager.

I am able to start new part drawings and assemblies with no problem, just can't do anything with my main assembly.

I suspect it has something to do with me modifying one of my sub-assemblies or one of my part files, but there is no way of finding out because I can't do anything one my Main Assembly pops up. I'm at a loss on how to remedy this and I don't want to recreate my Main Assembly!!

Anyone have any ideas?

rmcard -- At one level, you have created (and saved) an Assembly with a fundamental and unrecoverable mistake in it. There is no simple fix if that is the case. Another potential issue is that you have locked up some feature within Alibre. In this case, fully exiting Alibre and performing a system reboot may salvage things for you. Hope that it is the second situation!

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I would open each part and subassembly in the main assembly separately until you find one with a problem. Then you may have to delete and recreate that single file from scratch and replace it when opening the main/sub assembly. Hopefully that works.

I would also contact support and forward them the files so they can investigate.

JST

Alibre Super User
Is the assembly large enough to potentially run you out of memory?

if it is even in the same order of magnitude, then close Alibre and restart it, because Alibre does have a "memory leak" that gradually eats memory as you work. Restarting Alibre resets everything.

If no issues with the parts are findable, and re-start and re-boots do not help, then your assembly may just be hosed up, and you will HAVE to redo it. I have seen that happen, no clue why it occurs.

rmcard

Well I did go thru my sub assemblies and corrected one or two errors, and the Main Assembly did start working again. But the one sub assembly that had the biggest error I believed was no longer part of the main assembly... go figure.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
I have also experienced this exact behavior. The mouse goes completely "dumb". I also used C-A-D to get out of it. Then I discovered
what the *problem* was. I normally run with "Lock the Taskbar" RESET. (unchecked) I don't think this would make any difference in this
scenario though. In my case I found the fix. I never tried to replicate the condition but it shouldn't be too hard to replicate it.
Bottom line... There is a window open waiting on a response. (e.g. Open -- Cancel) and you looked at some other window,
maybe the plan you are working from. Then you go back to the Assembly window and the mouse is "dumb" but only in
this window. Try clicking any of the windows that are Alibre windows and see if you do in fact have a "awaiting response" window
open. If that window comes up, do what is necessary... Open a part or Cancel. This all happens if you are editing an assembly and
the next logical step is to "Insert Part or Sub-assembly" and you open another window without responding. At that is what was
happening to me.