What's new

"Trace Image" functionality - SOLVED

BigKahunaFL

Once again, I seem to be missing something simple…apparently. I've got an image (*.png) of an item that that I'd like to use in a model. I'm trying to use the "Trace Image" functionality to get a basic outline of the item (dimensional accuracy is NOT an issue here, just "close enough" works). As soon as I click on the "OK" button in the Trace Image dialog box, everything disappears. I'm assuming that the image is on a layer somewhere, but I'll be danged if I can find it! So OBVIOUSLY, I'm doing something wrong, or this "Trace Image" functionality no longer works in this latest version. Any thoughts?

BigKahunaFL

Once again, I seem to be missing something simple…apparently. I've got an image (*.png) of an item that that I'd like to use in a model. I'm trying to use the "Trace Image" functionality to get a basic outline of the item (dimensional accuracy is NOT an issue here, just "close enough" works). As soon as I click on the "OK" button in the Trace Image dialog box, everything disappears. I'm assuming that the image is on a layer somewhere, but I'll be danged if I can find it! So OBVIOUSLY, I'm doing something wrong, or this "Trace Image" functionality no longer works in this latest version. Any thoughts?
NEVERMIND! I found out what I was missing.

2023-12-22_11-58-48.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
I have tracing images disappear all the time when I use .png images. It must have something to do with transparency data within .png files, because I can pretty much always fix it by converting the image to a .jpg in paint.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have tracing images disappear all the time when I use .png images. It must have something to do with transparency data within .png files, because I can pretty much always fix it by converting the image to a .jpg in paint.
Hmm... I just inserted a png image and while it did disappear when I closed the insert dialog all I needed to do was click on the Tracing Images visibility icon to make it visible.
Just ran another test and found that the thing to do is make sure the Tracing Images visibility icon is set to visible before inserting the image. Seems like that toggle is set to OFF by default, or maybe that's just my system.

1703283898523.png

And just to complete the picture...

Genie Bottle model.jpg

Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hmm... I just inserted a png image and while it did disappear when I closed the insert dialog all I needed to do was click on the Tracing Images visibility icon to make it visible.
Just ran another test and found that the thing to do is make sure the Tracing Images visibility icon is set to visible before inserting the image. Seems like that toggle is set to OFF by default, or maybe that's just my system.

View attachment 40416

And just to complete the picture...

View attachment 40417

I had to try a couple images to recreate the issue I was talking about, and got it to occur on the 2nd .png image I tried.

In the attached part file, when i try to start a sketch on the part face, the tracing image disappears. It only happens on .png images, and only about half the time. If i convert the image to .jpg, the issue disappears.

Attachments

• New Part (1).AD_PRT
    3 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Interesting, that when viewed normally in sketch mode, the image isn't visible
1703297820111.png

But rotated randomly, you can see part of it. Some kinda glitch, maybe?

1703297884022.png

Ken226

Alibre Super User
@Ken226 Is the image on the exact same plane of the face or maybe even right behind it? Try putting it on a plane that is in front of everything else by a few units.

I have tried that. Both moving the plane up to several millimeters in front of the plane I intend to sketch, and removing some of the material behind the sketch.

Oddly, i seem to remember that working in the past. But, im kinda doubting my memory on that, since it seems to no longer work (if it ever did). I tried in on the file attached in the post above, and it did not work.

Now that it's fresh in my memory, I created a support ticket on it. Just in case they are unaware of this. Hopefully, it isn't some silly little thing I am inadvertently doing wrong.

Last edited:

BigKahunaFL

@Ken226 I can replicate the second image with the System Options | Design Viewing | General Appearance | Shade Reference Planes option; turn it "off" to see the image through the plane. When viewing flat-on to the image, it does indeed appear that the image is "behind" the plane, but I'll be darned to be able to figure out how to change it's "elevation" from the plane.

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Yep, that'll work! Would've been nice to see an offset option in either the "Insert Tracing Image" dialog, or in a/the "Edit Tracing Image" dialog box. Oh, well. I'll add it to my "Wish List" for submission. THANKS!

Insert a plane offset from the sketch plane and use that for the image.

So, you tried this with the file I linked above, and it worked? Because I tried it again, with the plane shading turned off and the same issue persists.

I also tried it again using an offset plane, and again the same issue persists. Same with both the plane shading off, and with an offset plane both simulteneously.
So, what am I doing differently here?

Here is the same file, with a different .png image, and doing the same thing. It does it with the plane shading set off, and with the plane offset from the face.

Here is a screenshot, with the tracing image inserted onto a plane offset 5mm above the face of the part, and with the plane shading set off, in sketch mode. You can see that the tracing image is definitely not visible. Except, you can see just a little bit of the front tire of the motorcycle, where it is not in front of the part face.

1703363341462.png

The problem appears to occur only when a .png that has a transparency is used.

The part file, and the .png i used are both attached to this post. I can recreate this issue with pretty much any .png image that has no background, such as the one attached.

Attachments

• Disappearing image.AD_PRT
    513.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Red-Ducati-PNG-Free-Download.png
    Red-Ducati-PNG-Free-Download.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Hi Ken, I'd definitely send that in to Support. I am usually tracing images to create new parts and not features on an existing part so that may be why I haven't seen this issue before.

I downloaded your image and inserted it on the XY plane in this screenshot. The part sketch is on the XY plane and extruded to -.25 Z.
I can start a sketch on the XY plane and start to trace the image with no issue.
Image and Sketch on XY Plane.jpg

However, if I start a sketch in the part face then the image will not be visible until I exit sketch mode.

Image on XYPlane - Sketch on Face.jpg

Ken226

Alibre Super User
Hi Ken, I'd definitely send that in to Support. I am usually tracing images to create new parts and not features on an existing part so that may be why I haven't seen this issue before.

I downloaded your image and inserted it on the XY plane in this screenshot. The part sketch is on the XY plane and extruded to -.25 Z.
I can start a sketch on the XY plane and start to trace the image with no issue.
View attachment 40428

However, if I start a sketch in the part face then the image will not be visible until I exit sketch mode.

View attachment 40429

Thanks for checking it out. I submitted a support ticket, so i'll probably hear something back on Monday'ish.