What's new

Tracing Image Issue

simonb65

Alibre Super User
There seems to be a usability issue with using Tracing Images when drawing on faces.

If you position the Tracing Image above the face you want to sketch on, then select the face for 2D sketching, the face is rendered closer to the user than the tracing image and obscures the image!

This is on a plane 3mm above the part with transparency of the image set to 50% ...

1646064190949.png

If you look before the 2D sketch mode is entered, you get ...

1646064272215.png

Enter 2D mode and you get ...

1646064311272.png
Visual Style = Shaded

Not very helpful if you want to sketch the image where the face is !!!

Turn the model slightly and you can see the problem. The face is rendered last, rather than using it's actual z-order position in the view.

1646064411946.png
Visual Style = Shaded

So, apart from it needing to be fixed for shaded visual styles, is there anyway to turn off the face highlighting other than using a wireframe view (which will just create a really cluttered display on more complex geometry)?

EDIT : Seems to display fine using the Illustration visual style, just not when Shaded !! ...

1646064717298.png
Visual Style = Illustration

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Yeah, you'd think that you would be able to see the image in order to sketch no matter if it was above or below the sketch plane.

For those times I needed to import an image for sketching I placed it on the default plane and switched the View to the Wire frame style. I was still able to see and copy the image while working on the sketch plane some distance above the image.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yeah, you'd think that you would be able to see the image in order to sketch no matter if it was above or below the sketch plane.
Agreed, the tracing image should be on-top at all times, regardless of placement, as you can't really utilize it fully if it soon gets buried under the model your creating. It seems the method of highlighting the selected face is different in the Illustration and Shaded views ... not sure why it would be different, but obviously something the devs overlooked!