What's new

Tracing images

sz0k30

I have a file I'd like to import using "Tracing images". The file is a PDF file which appears to not be one of the supported types? Are there any options that would work?

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I have a free version of PDF X Change Viewer and it has a Export to image.
I also have used screen print and then paste in a image editor and save as an image.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I have a file I'd like to import using "Tracing images". The file is a PDF file which appears to not be one of the supported types? Are there any options that would work?
View your PDF on the screen, zoom in to maximise the bit you want then and use windows 'Snip' tool to grab a png or bmp of what you need, then import that into Alibre. Scale accordingly once in Alibre!

sz0k30

View your PDF on the screen, zoom in to maximise the bit you want then and use windows 'Snip' tool to grab a png or bmp of what you need, then import that into Alibre. Scale accordingly once in Alibre!

OK, you got me. What & where is this "Snip" tool?

sz0k30

Staying on the same subject "Tracing Images", attached is a part file with the image I want to keep as an image and not use it to create a sketch. Is there any way to actually have it show up as an image in the the part and assembly drawing files?

Attachments

• 67 IMPALA BODY.AD_PRT
    322 KB · Views: 14

BlackBird28

On Windows10 you can Press WINDOWKEY + SHIFT + S and then you can select the area you like to have as a screenshot. After this you have to click on the notification in the bottom right (the apearing Image) and than you can save it or copy it in your clipboard.

sz0k30

So even though the image shows up in my part file, I might have to make a PKG for anyone else to see it.

sz0k30

OK, Kmoffett got no image. Simonb65 agrees - no image. HaroldL got the 67 Impala image.

So what's the deal?

And as I asked in post #9, can I get this image to show up in a drawing file?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I can see a car 'tracing image' in your part.

You can add the same image to your 2D drawing if you wish, just insert the image into the drawing. That has been possible for years.

I suspect though you may want to do something rather different....

KMoffett

Interesting...In the image blocks of Recent Files the car shows up in the block for your file. But not if I open it. ????
Recent Files.PNG

KMoffett

Ahhh! Now I see a problem. The Tracing function requires that the display "not" be in the "Legacy Display" mode. If I un-check that, the car image appears. However, there is a warning that AlibreCAM requires that you need to have the Legacy Display box checked.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Latest AlibreCAM works in non-legacy mode.

Yes tracing images is one for the tools that depends upon HOOPS to work.