What's new

transfering computers

Willis123

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble transfering my vault to a new computer. I was on a WIndows Vista machine which is slowly dying. I made a copy of the Alibre.mfb file to restore on my new computer on Windows 7 and ADE 2011. In the M-Files Server Administrator program I clicked on Restore Document Vault and had it point at my thumbdrive with the file on it. That went smoothly but when I tried to look at my newly restored files in AD I was told that the "specified document vault does not exist". So I made a new vault with the same .mfb file and that doesn't show up anywhere. Both vaults are logged in. Am I missing something in restoring?

WIllis

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Have you set up a connection to the vault from the M-Files Client, and also told Alibre Design which vault to interact with from the Home Window Options?

Willis123

Hi David,

I hadn't made the connection to the vault in the M-Files client. All is swell now. I also found out that in order for files to be transfered they need to be checked in first. By the way, is there a simplified "how-to" for the M-Files use and implementation? What I found was stuff written by and for software engineers and pretty hard to wallow through. :?

Willis

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - files are held on the client local hard drive until they are checked in. Before doing back-ups or any other major works it is best if all files are checked in and all users logged off.

The documentation for M-Files could be better - much of it is translated from Finnish, and sometimes things get 'lost in translation' - that will hopefully improve now that the marketing is being led from the USA. The M-Files community web site can provide some useful help for free.

The M-Files guide on the Alibre downloads page is probably as good as anythng to read.