What's new

Transforming multiple lofts into one body

Elrick

Good day,

I want to share some workarounds Ive come across and need some help on this. Worthy scan hardware are very expensive so there aint many options with this challenge. I finally found software to help to do what I wished GMD could do. GMDs latest version have a new tab called "Scanning and Mesh". Its been helpful but cant get satisfying results. The "surfacing" functions also helped a lot. In particular the stitch function. I will explain and add screenshots to make things clearer.

Ive had this challenge where I had to measure parts already made, to make CAD models of. Its quite big with spans of 33 feet/10m. Ive tried many ways but after all the advice I found I realised you just cant do it in single lofts. You need to do it in sections. We got a self leveling cross line lazer to help with the measurements. Im a guy who loves my square and lazer. By placing another lazer square to the vertical beam of the other lazer I got my sections which represents the planes on which the co ordinates fall. This post should give some perspective viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14439 As you will see over here, not only did I have trouble making accurate lofts but there were annoying errors that came with it. (INCONS_FACE: inconsistent face-body relationships/ Operation: Boss) And the main cause for this, I believe, were due to sketches falling on the exact same plane? The start of a new lofted sketch and the end of a previous one. (When a loft is done I use "project to sketch" to get the next sketch for the following loft.) Sometimes the lofts didnt give this error and other times it did. As mentioned, I placed another plane .1mm/0.004" away from the last one and pasted the copied & projected sketch, from the last loft, onto it. That way I dodged this error and kept everything in one file. Rather than making a copy of the file to boolean unite later. As you will see the last two screenshot were lofts made in the same tree. So I saved a copy of the file with the lofts which were problematic with the rest and joined them through boolean. Then an even bigger challenge stared me in the face. How will I get these parts hollow????? Thats when I realised the shell function only works 15% of the time I need it. Guess it doesnt "like" most organic shapes. I tried to overcome this by making another copy of the full boolean and scale it down for boolean subtract by about .98. When you do this the center of mass should be aligned to get perfect offset. Thus representing the skin. Its not an accurate or professional solution but it got me where I wanted to be. At the time.

By now you might be thinking I am thinking this is not the best software for the job? Not what im thinking! I still believe this is where hand and machine meets. The following screenshots should speak for themselves. Problem now is where do I go from here. GMD doesnt seem to keep the smooth looking imported mesh when it is transformed by the "Convert Mesh to Solid" function? I dont know much about Geomagic Studio but I have a feeling this might fill in where GMD shorts??? Anyone who owns this and know how good it is? I wont be able to michine accurate parts with Alibre CAM if GMD doesnt handle the mesh properly. Theres an awful amount of accuracy lost in the mesh conversion. And I dont believe its another visual glitch. Will prove my point in screenshots.

I found software which gave me hope on the matter so I know it is possible! Only a matter of mesh handling by GMD now. I understand mesh software are more on the organic side of the cad world.

Any help appreciated. Always open for ideas.
Regards

Another post regarding the matter viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14577

Attachments

• B&A 1.2.png
    B&A 1.2.png
    452.4 KB · Views: 10
  • B&A 1.2 B.png
    B&A 1.2 B.png
    461.8 KB · Views: 7

Elrick

Attachments

• MM potoon solid 1.1.png
    MM potoon solid 1.1.png
    227 KB · Views: 6
  • MM potoon solid 1.2.png
    MM potoon solid 1.2.png
    432.3 KB · Views: 7
  • MM potoon solid 1.3.png
    MM potoon solid 1.3.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 6

Elrick

Over here you'll see the part before and after porting. It doesnt look that bad right? You might notice some symmetrical differences and the edges which lost their sharpness. Thing is theres no parameters to fiddle with when converting meshes. Last sketch right figure one other problem irises. Left figure were exported to pdf much better than the right side. The meshed solid looks terrible in pdf but its probably a rendering issue.

Attachments

• GMD pontoon 1.1.png
    GMD pontoon 1.1.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 9
  • GMD pontoon 1.2.png
    GMD pontoon 1.2.png
    401.6 KB · Views: 17
  • GMD pontoon 1.4.png
    GMD pontoon 1.4.png
    385.3 KB · Views: 14

Elrick

This appears to be a lost case. Correct me if my knowledge is twisted.

3ds seems to be one step ahead when it comes to mesh to solid conversion. Rhino constantly crash when trying the "MeshToNurb" command and the add-on provided/suggested by them is made by 3ds? Converting files for mesh editing seems to be easy. GMD does a fine job doing that. But reverting the data seems to be very challenging. So I dont know what else to try. I was hoping to convert the .stl's edited in Mesh Mixer and Rhino to something like an Iges or step and port it back to GMD for more acurate results but it appears this wont be happening anytime soon? It feels like my last stumbling block in GMD. If you could make accurate transformations I would go as far to say you can do anything with Geomagic Design. If any one reading this have some advice please share. Im at the finish line but cant cross it without good mesh to solid conversion. The geometry looks good in both MM and rhino before it re-enters GMD. Will the Rhino plug in make any difference?

Thanks

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hello Elrick,
I have seen the render of you Float Plane design that seem very good. My suggestion is make more section where the Spray Rails & lifting Strakes have more curves following this recommendation: The curves (WL) as cubic spline need to be defined by minimum of 3-5 points. In other word 3-5 sections for the loft.
I hope this help

Attachments

• Float.JPG
    Float.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 7

Elrick

Been a while but thanks GIOV!

I found some very great tutorials that gave me some helpful tips: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=6058.1

Even though done in MoI it helped me realise a lot of my mistakes. Ive been jumping between software these past months to find the best software for the job. But after I got a heads up from Michael Gibson at MoI it appeared I have to try and aply the same rules from it over here in GMD. And surprised I was! Ive been so busy trying to keep the original design, using interpolation points, that I never even tried a different spline. A spline controlled by control points seemed to make everything work better. (shell & mirror comands) And also to stay away from project to sketch. Project to sketch should only be used for reference geometry. Keeping the control points to a minimum is very important. Trying to loft this in one body seems to be impossible. Even in MoI. [But I will be buying it very soon and see what I could improve in there. Lofting in MoI seems very good. Much more freedom.] Ive learned so many things that would've helped me in the beginning when I started asking for advice here on the forum. If any one need advice or have some advice please ask / share.

Elrick

Attachments

• Lofting 1.2.png
    Lofting 1.2.png
    261.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Lofting 1.3.png
    Lofting 1.3.png
    210.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Lofting 1.4.png
    Lofting 1.4.png
    221.3 KB · Views: 4

Elrick

Anyone know how to solve this?

Attachments

• Lofting 1.5.png
    Lofting 1.5.png
    838.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Lofting problem.AD_PRT
    268.5 KB · Views: 4

Jim C

Assuming you are referring to the error, yes. Just change the guide curve sequence to Sketch 1, Sketch 2 instead of Sketch 2, Sketch 1. Ok, don't ask me why! I tried each guide curve by itself and all went well so it appears that the guides are ok. The only thing left was the sequence. I don't know what algorithm is used for the solution but from my own experience one sequence will work while another won't.

Jim C

Attachments

• Loft-1-2.png
    Loft-1-2.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 6

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Elrick, the problem is your guide curve: 3D Sketch<2>
The 3D Sketch<2>/ guide curve must "intersect" all 3 x 2D Sketches precisely:

Attachments

• 3D-Sketch.png
    3D-Sketch.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 9

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Please take a look, here is your 3D Loft model.

Attachments

• Loft-with-two guide-curves.AD_PRT
    730.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Loft-with-two-guide-curves.png
    Loft-with-two-guide-curves.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 15

Elrick

Thanks for the help. But notice that odd line which now appears on the side of the solid? It automatically breaks a sketch into two parts or something. Also when trying to mirror this body it fails. (guide curve got corrupted)

When I try to loft the front part with those two bottom guide curves it keeps giving me errors. Using them doesnt crash the mirror but then the shell fails again. The top picture I didnt use them and the shell worked. In bottom pic I did and the shell failed. Comparing the two explains why I need to shell it using those guide curves.

If the mirror works its one less problem atleast. But I would really like to get this loft/mirror/shell right in GMD. I tried to make a surface from the face to use the thicken command but it fails. Also only using one half. (LOP_OFF_BAD_CURVATURE: could not offset face because of bad curvature see err info (ext). I exported the part to MoI and it makes a shell very easily. So Im not out of options :) Seems like my best bet would be to model the whole body in GMD and use MoI to give the body thickness. Theres one small problem with this way through MoI. The shell is made perpendicular to the selected face. But if the body is complete this wont be a problem when all the edges are 100% flush.

Elrick

Attachments

• Lofting 1.6.png
    Lofting 1.6.png
    271.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Lofting 1.7.png
    Lofting 1.7.png
    423.6 KB · Views: 4

Elrick

I didnt want to share these yet because it aint ready. We are a bit behind schedule but we are bussy updating our website and we need to share our progress. We will need to make visual presentations in a short while and Adobe 3dPdf rendering seems to be the best shot for this purpose. The assembly exports to pdf very good! And the Fraps are excellent.

Im having trouble finding a name for the designer/s of this aircraft but its very inspiring: http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/home.html

I could only make the best of what I have to achieve such good presentations. Once these lofting goals are met its going to be a new game. Only a matter of time :)

Elrick

Attachments

• C-Wolf.png
    C-Wolf.png
    1 MB · Views: 8
  • 2.6.2 B.jpg
    2.6.2 B.jpg
    620.6 KB · Views: 13
  • C-Wolf with Adept Engine.png
    C-Wolf with Adept Engine.png
    750.8 KB · Views: 10

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Your "Loft model" with 4 guide curves (3D Sketches) + Mirror + Shell.

Attachments

• Loft-with-4-guide-curves-Mirror-Shell.AD_PRT
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • Loft-with-4-guide-curves-Mirror-Shell.png
    Loft-with-4-guide-curves-Mirror-Shell.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 10

Ralf

Alibre Super User
..and additional, if you want, without visual "odd lines".
Simple, easy,... :)

Attachments

• Loft-simple-cut-Mirror-Shell.AD_PRT
    484.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Loft-simple-cut-Mirror-Shell.png
    Loft-simple-cut-Mirror-Shell.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 11

Elrick

Hi Ralf, do you have any suggestions for this problem in the pic? I feel like ive gained some ground atleast. The shell wont execute and I think this small problem in the surface is causing it. Probably caused by the last two profiles. Placing extra guide curves between them makes it worse. Im hoping that your additional method wont be neccesary. Cos this means I'll need to start with my vertical progiles again :(

Will see what happens when I lower the second last guide curve. The space between the last two profiles are about 30mm. Will try 5 & 1mm.

Attachments

• Lofting 1.8.2.png
    Lofting 1.8.2.png
    546.2 KB · Views: 3