What's new

Transparency key

mrehmus

It is tedious and slow to have to choose Color Properties every time I want to view the interior of a part. Is there a keyboard shortcut to, as long as the key is held down, turn the part 50% transparent?

JST

Alibre Super User
"interior of a part".... you mean there is an invisible/hidden interior structure to the part, which is not exposed by rotation?

And since it is a "PRT", {hide} is of no use?

The only practical case that comes to mind is the resulting recess formed by the core of a sand casting or the like..... Example?

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
mrehmus said:
It is tedious and slow to have to choose Color Properties every time I want to view the interior of a part. Is there a keyboard shortcut to, as long as the key is held down, turn the part 50% transparent?

Could Wizoscript be used for something like this?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Do
mrehmus said:

:? :? :? What is inside the part you want to view? Or do you mean to make a part transparent to view the inside of an assembly? I've done that before and yes it is a PITA. There should be RMB clik or something, Oh yeah a HotKey.

JST

Alibre Super User
Dunno about 50% transparent, don't even know why you'd want that, unless there was some very complex interlocking that had to be viewed, but I am not sure such a thing would be optimally manufactured.

Most is easily handled by "hide", and "undo". Why will that not work?

We are not sure exactly what you want.......... which makes a solution hard to find

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
If I understand correctly, he just wants a quick way to make a part transparent and there is apparently no way to do that in native GM.

Speaking for myself, there have been times when I've wanted one part in an assembly to be partially transparent in order to see how some other part in the background lines up or interferes with a feature in another part.

Dave H

MikeHenry said:
If I understand correctly, he just wants a quick way to make a part transparent and there is apparently no way to do that in native GM.

Speaking for myself, there have been times when I've wanted one part in an assembly to be partially transparent in order to see how some other part in the background lines up or interferes with a feature in another part.

You can do this by setting the transparency percentage in the part color properties window.
I think all he is asking is: Is there a way to do this without going through all the mouse clicks that are now necessary. Like a hotkey combination, or writing a script.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Actually what Mike (Rehmus) is asking for here would be quite helpful to me too. I often need to view parts/assemblies with a transparency of 40-50% when creating cooling channels in mould plates that are complex or cross between plates. To be able to set a default transparency value of, say, 40% and then toggle it on/off using a hot-key or ribbon button would be a great time-saver...

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You could use configurations (or even assembly colour) to do the toggling - but you still need to set up the transparency for each part, so is a bit of a chore.