What's new

traversing large assemblies

First, I want to thank everyone who challenged my ides when posting here, different ways of thinking are always helpful.

Now, I have two questions about large assemblies and assemblies in general. Previous experience has taught that breaking large assemblies into smaller sub-assemblies has many benefits when done in a logical functional manner. First question, what is the best way to traverse among sub-assemblies. If inter-part dependencies are kept to a minimum they can be edited separately without having to do edit in place on a larger assembly but require changing the displayed assembly more often.

Second question, is it always necessary to use reference geometry (planes) when adding files to an assembly if maintaining "car" or "absolute" position is required? This relates to creating components in "car" position using a global parameter file, then adding them to an assembly in same position.

If there are other ways of thinking about assemblies please include them. For me a moderately involved assembly will have about 100 unique parts or between 300 and 500 total so not extreme.

sz0k30

Second question, is it always necessary to use reference geometry (planes) when adding files to an assembly if maintaining "car" or "absolute" position is required? This relates to creating components in "car" position using a global parameter file, then adding them to an assembly in same position.
Ages ago when I worked in the Auto Industry (in chassis design), we always designed every part at Absolute Zero, never in "Car position".

Hi szok30, thanks for your reply. I've done modeling both ways and there's always benefits and drawbacks, "car" position is just a term to describe one way, and when we get files from customers they come in "car" position, not absolute. The two questions from the original post were about traversing files and relations/position. In trying to embrace AD way of doing things I'm reaching out to experienced users to gain insight into the way the software works.