What's new

Trouble deleting Equal constraints on arcs, circles

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Maybe it does this with other sketching constraints too, I haven't paid much attention. I do seem to notice it more with curves though.

OK, say while drawing a Sketch I create a square and add radii to all 4 corners, dimension one and constrain the other 3 to it with the "=" constraint. Later on, I discover the 2 curves on the right are supposed to be a different radius than the 2 on the left. So I click the "=" symbol hovering next to a curve on the right, hit "Delete"...and all 4 constraints disappear.

Now, this happening while I'm knocking the corners off of a square isn't too big of a deal, but in a complicated Sketch with mabe a dozen or more filleted corners all constrained to be Equal, changing the radius on one and then having to hunt down all the others to make them Equal again is time-consuming and could lead to problems if I happen to miss one. Ideally I would think that if multiple entities in a Sketch share a constraint, deleting one should be just that: deleting one. The only time it should delete more than one of the constraints is when there's only 2 left and one drives off the other-deleting one makes the other unneccessary.

EDIT: Another good example, just happened to me now. I'm working on a telescoping pole for the awning on our trailer, one of those deals where one tube slides inside another and a little spring-loaded button pops out of holes in both tubes to set the length. I've got 11 ø.375 holes in one tube to make the length adjustable, and not too far away from those is another hole that a pin goes through to hold a bar in place, that hole also happens to be ø.375. So I drew all 12 holes in the same Sketch and made them all ø.375 by dimensioning one and using the Equal constraint on the rest. Today I find out we're going to use a smaller pin, so now that one hole needs to be made ø.281. I go to delete the Equal constraint on the hole I'm about to make ø.281 and it takes all the other Equal constraints with it. So once I make that ø.281 hole, I have to go back in with the Equal constraint and reconstrain the other 11 holes that really had nothing to do with the revision.

Kinda frustrating is all :?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
I'd suggest deleting the single hole/curve/line instead of the constraint. Then you only have to add that one and its dimension.

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Problem with that plan is if I delete the hole and redraw it, that screws with the constraints in my Assembly. Saves time in one place but wastes some more in another :?

indesign

Alibre Super User
Then may I suggest not using a constraint but instead use the dimension. All the circles would be =R1 and this way you can then come back and change anyone without effecting any other (remember to also make the first hole equal to a variable too).

BernardK

Alibre Super User
Another take on this is to use reference geometry and constrain the feature line to the reference geometry. The reference can be deleted and recreated and the feature line reconstrained without affecting assembly constraints and drawing dimensions. I use this technique regularly with inter design constraints.