What's new

trouble drawing a cone/funnel

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i am sure this is simple but i can figure out how. In the part i am trying to make a cone/funnel. I started with the sheet metal cone and wanted a flat pattern to make out of sheet metal but now I want to 3d print instead.
in the attached file when i do a loft it is a solid, the "Shell" does not work on this. maybe i need to go back to sheet metal design but i need the flange around outside but didn't know how to do that. looking for some direction.
Thanks,

Attachments

• cone.AD_PRT
    382 KB · Views: 7

Ken226

Alibre Super User
try with a loft cut. Your material in the cone is so thin, that you will need to add some thickness, or use offset sketches to create a positive value for wall thickness in the cone.
A part with negative wall thickness looks funny.

1679411986760.png

Attachments

• cone.AD_PRT
    569 KB · Views: 4

Nick952

If you do the Shell before adding the Flange it will work (Shell Outwards). If you shell inwards, then there will be a step, where the loft meets the flange (unless the flange sketch is modified to suit).
Drag your flange feature to after the loft (then move the dog bone above the flange extrusion to do the Shell).

Last edited:

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i would like to make it thicker, but i can't get the shell outward to work

Attachments

• cone-web.AD_PRT
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (415).png
    Screenshot (415).png
    355.3 KB · Views: 12

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Try using the Surface commands. I think you get better results with Delete Face then Thicken than Shell.

1679502204204.png

Attachments

• cone wDelete Surface and Thicken.AD_PRT
    564 KB · Views: 1

Nick952

Strange, worked fine when I tried it earlier (just before leaving home for my afternoon shift, so no time to post my files). I'll try it again later, when I get back home

Last edited:

Nick952

Ok just tried this again with 0.1000" thickness and whilst the shell worked either inwards or outwards, because of the angled faces and the way shell works, the result is probably not what you are looking for.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
i started over and got it to work w/o th flange first. I was able to get the shell to work.
my 3d print didn't turn out so good because of supports that had to be put in to hold up th cone they are hard to remove.
Thanks for the help!