What's new

Trying to constrain a sketch messed it up

jaysinn

Using 2019 version, with the second update applied.

I had a sketch for a part that had taken me some hours of work. It looked exactly like what I wanted, but then I started trying to get all the elements to be fully constrained. In the process, I discovered that some lines which I had constructed to be parallel were no longer parallel. So I deleted the bad ones and re-built them. But at some point, the whole system of constraints crashed so badly that the sketch is now completely unusable and I have to start over from scratch. Things got rotated around and on and on.

I was building the sketch off from Reference lines that I had put down - and I had tried to Lock those reference lines so they would never move, but the system would not let me lock them.

The system got slower and slower the more constraints I added, so it was getting almost impossible to use anyway.

I almost want to go back to the previous version, which never got this slow.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
As a rule you should try to keep sketches to as few figures as possible to create that feature.

I would suggest sending the problem to support.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd second that if you are spending hours on a sketch, it is far too complex - and is therefore more likely to hit problems (in addition to being a nightmare to edit, should you need to).

Split things into more, but simpler features.