What's new

Trying to create a radial array of threaded holes in a cylindrical part?

Ken226

Alibre Super User
First I tried by creating the holes via extrude cut, then using the hole tool for the threads and constraining the threaded holes to the undersized extrude cut holes. The threads don't appear regardless of what I try, or regardless of how much bigger the hole tool's hole is than the original extrude cut holes.

1656428893185.png

My second attempt was by creating a tangent plane, then using the hole tool to create a threaded hole from the tangent plane. That works for the first hole, but when i create a circular pattern of the threaded holes, it gets wonky. It creates the holes fine, but the threads appear progressively coarser in pitch as the pattern progresses around the cylinder

1656429686110.png

I ended up just doing it the hard way by creating 5 seperate tangent planes 72 degrees apart, and using the hole tool seperately on each plane. That worked, but it seems that something this simple should be doable without that additional effort.

And to answer Stefan in advance :cool: The "Help" had nothing to say on the subject....

So, am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug that needs reported?

Any other ideas on how to do this without having to create 5 seperate tangent planes, the 5 hole tool operations.

My Contraption needs threaded holes for some screw-in handles :)

1656430369265.png

idslk

Alibre Super User
1656433227028.png

1656433505167.png

1656433629098.png

Little Test. The planes and axes not neccessary... (Edit: except the tangent plane...)
Looks ok for me...without looking into the help ;)

Regards
Stefan

Ken226

Alibre Super User
don't know...
here's my file

Regards
Stefan

It was the "Drilled" checkbox that did the trick.

When I checked the "drilled" box, the behavior corrected and now the holes look fine. With "drilled" unchecked, things got all wrapped around the axle.

Thanks Stefan,

Your help is very much appreciated.

Here's my part, attached.

Attachments

• Jackscrew.AD_PRT
    5.5 MB · Views: 1

idslk

Alibre Super User
hm.. I've taken your part here, uncecked the "drilled" option and added a plane and a precise section view and got the following result:

1656443565037.png

Regards
Stefan

Ken226

Alibre Super User
hm.. I've taken your part here, uncecked the "drilled" option and added a plane and a precise section view and got the following result:

View attachment 36373

Regards
Stefan

Very interesting, and weird. :D

I had my laptop shut down. When I saw your reply I restarted it and reopened the part, and its fine now. No problems. I gues it was some kind of glitch that self cured after restarting.

I guess i just needed a reboot!

Thanks for the help. With it, i was able to get this project finished.

1656449173207.png

Last edited: