What's new

Trying to edit an imported step file

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
What are the exact steps to push and pull the file? I am going to need that a lot because I have to do the same with ballscrews etc.

You won't be able to stretch ballscrews, the 'move face' command only does what the name suggests - it won't extend a thread.

For coupling nuts, all you need is an extruded hexagon to give an approximation of the nut, probably quicker to model it than to find one on line.

To shorten items, a simple extrude cut either long the part or across it may be enough.

Search for 'direct editing' in the help. I'll back at my desk soon and will look to add a link.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
The couplings have to be m6x30mm and m6x40mm, I cannot find the exact size so I have to work with what I find. That means resizing to the correct length, and this will also apply to ballscrews since I have to have a certain length also. This way when I assemble I can see how everything fits and where I am lacking.
Thanks for the details. You could model the outside shapes with holes and extrude to the lengths you need. This would be more performant then swap them out later.

If you can share a parts list I can see if I have solutions for those parts.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
It's possible to shorten or lengthen complex parts using cuts, linear patterning techniques, etc. Which Alibre version and type are you using?

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
This is an example of making a part file that is based on a real world part to be used in the BOM (the STEP file). I do this when I don't have all the parts I need or to make the assembly lightweight. You can add more detail as needed.
1713182977569.png
1713182990077.png

In your assembly you would use the custom sized configurations and replace with a more detailed version, find it online or get the actual model from the client later (or keep it). Working with the native Alibre part is much more performant.

Attachments

• 6624K69_Ball Screw.STEP
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 6624K69_Ball Screw.AD_PKG
    5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

John-Amos

This is an example of making a part file that is based on a real world part to be used in the BOM (the STEP file). I do this when I don't have all the parts I need or to make the assembly lightweight. You can add more detail as needed.

In your assembly you would use the custom sized configurations and replace with a more detailed version, find it online or get the actual model from the client later (or keep it). Working with the native Alibre part is much more performant.

Appreciate the help, let me give it a shot.

stepalibre

Alibre Super User
Another option is to cut up the model and create an assembly where the ends or the middle portion is dynamic allowing it to be shortened or lengthened. You can also use Design or Assembly Booleans to build a model from pieces. Alibre handles STEP files well, but it lacks tools for modifying with imported geometry. I typically leave STEP files as is in Alibre.

Stu3d

The couplings have to be m6x30mm and m6x40mm, I cannot find the exact size so I have to work with what I find. That means resizing to the correct length, and this will also apply to ballscrews since I have to have a certain length also. This way when I assemble I can see how everything fits and where I am lacking.
Here is a coupling nut I have modelled without visible threads. It probably needs the chamfer correcting as I guessed it and other features adding but depends how accurate it has to be.
If you go in to the Equation Editor and change the dimensions labelled Length, Size (spanner size) and Thread you can make a coupling nut of any size.
For example to create an M6x40mm change the following: Length = 40, Size = 10 and Thread = 6.
Same could probably be done for ballscrews.

Attachments

• coupling nut template.AD_PRT
    334 KB · Views: 0