What's new

Trying to understand measurement tool

PaulProe

I can't find any information on the data presented by the measurement tool. Refering to the example in the 2012 User Guide, page 434.

They illustrate measuring between the two vertical legs, the distance being .531 But then it also reports a length of .260 and a total length of .646 What do these two numbers refer to?

I understand what the delta's are referencing.

Is a there a clear explanation to what this tool reports? I've tried the User Manual and the on-line help module but drawing a blank. Often I will use the measurement tool but often am confused by what it is reporting back to me

Thanks

Paul

H-L-Smith

It would be very helpful if there was more visual feedback in the measurement tool. One example would be to provide different indicators (colored line segments) of the dx, dy and dz measurements on the screen. I've seen this done elsewhere and it's very effective. Often, I've found the delta measurements helpful in debugging failed constraints as they sometimes reveal subtle errors in feature geometry that prevent constraints from working.

Likewise, using better color indicators for the angular measurements, and also providing colored deltas (theta-x, theta-y, theta-z) for the angles would help. There are times when it is really difficult to know exactly what is being indicated for angles. You just get two thin blue lines, which can be hard to see on the screen when there is a lot of geometry in view. You know the total angle, but not enough detail.

Any other suggestions for improvements? I'd be willing to write up a feedback item if we can provide a constructive set of improvements for the development team. I use the measurement tool a lot.

Cheers,

Lonnie

PaulProe

Lonnie
It would be helpful if the documentation identified what the different results are. The documentation is sketchy at best. I don't understand the purpose of supplying the length of the items being measured from. That information only adds to the confusion.

To my feeble mind, measuring from two lines/points should give the distance and the delta's. No reason for any other info.

Paul

sz0k30

Years ago I was a designer on Unigraphics (I loved it), I think its now called NX. I think I remember an option to leave a shortest distance line. Many times this was very helpful . Also, often the measurement distances are needed for further operations so it would be nice if you could leave the distance window on the screen, rather than having to write down the values you need.

Roman