What's new

Tube design

JL82

I will design products using metal tube. I found Bend-Tech software. They don't offer trial version of the software. Is there the add on for tube bending design for Geomagic Design? Maybe I will try 3D-sketch or Moi3D.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
No tube/piping design add-on for GD as far as I know.

Another user did come up with a tool to help with piping design (Piper Pro), some limitations in the GD API meant some manual operations were still required - though not perfect, I found the tool a big help. Unfortunately there wasn't enough demand to make maintaining the tool attractive.

JL82,

I am unaware of a tube bending "add-in" for GMD. But, the issue usually boils down to avoiding structure and maintaining a clear distance to allow for thermal and/or vibration effects. Right?

If my "run" is (say) 2 inch OD tubing and I need (say) 4 inch clearance to allow for thermal and vibration effects, then I need a path that stays 5 inches from the structure, right? Whether it is better to construct reference geometry or a 3D path is really your choice. I virtually always construct reference geometry as an in place new part at the assembly level. The main PITA is constructing the axis of revolution for the bends. There is no easy way to convert that to a standard tubing bend drawing. It is a back to fundamentals effort.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It's easy to add a fillet to the corners on a 3D Sketch sweep path - that sorts out nice bends. The add-on which I used previously made generating the 3D Sketch quite simple (literally 'join the points') and it took care of bend radius for you - adding points was fairly simple from the end fittings and reference axes.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Wow Bend-Tech would be a great add on/tool. It sure would help me out in doing some of the complex plumping that required in some of my models.