What's new

Turn a part into a cutout for CNC?

I'm trying to create a simple tool case for a caliper for practice using Atom3d to create STL files for CNC cutting.

I've made a simple part, starting from tracing the tool and creating the shape of the cut.

Of course, now I'm realizing I should have made a block and cut into it, is there some way to "invert" the part to create a cutout from the part, or will I have to just start over?

I'm ok starting over but figure it's also a learning opportunity as I'm not that familiar with the tool yet.

1681416915463.png

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I would try increasing the thickness of the Brown base extrusion then just delete the Extrude Boss for the wrench profile and reusing its sketch to create an Extrude Cut into the Brown base.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
That brown thing is just a picture I took of the caliper and imported, then traced.
In that case move (left mouse click and drag) the Dog Bone in the Design Explorer above the extrusion used to create the caliper. Create a sketch and extrude a boss for the base. Then move the dog bone down or hit F5 to regen the model. Delete the extrusion for the caliper and use its sketch to create an extrude cut into the newly created boss.

jroy

Well, your caliper model is fine and you should keep it as such. Create another part for the foam part that you want and then boolean cut the caliper from the foam part. If result is too tight just rescale your caliper model to provide some slack in the fit.

Hope it helps...