What's new

TUTORIAL: How to create a tapered helix

bigseb

Alibre Super User
To create a tapered helix in Alibre start you must first create a cone that has the same height, major diameter and minor diameter as your tapered helix.

Attachments

• 01.png
    01.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 26

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Next you will need to create a helical boss. Important here is that profile sketch passes through both the major and minor radii of the cone (as in the image below). I generally start helix somewhat below the cone and end it somewhat higher. This ensures that the helix passes through the cone completely.

Attachments

• 02.png
    02.png
    57.5 KB · Views: 26

bigseb

Alibre Super User
The result will look something like this:

Attachments

• 03.png
    03.png
    60.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 04.png
    04.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 23

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Now the fiddly bit. Create a 3D sketch. Press the 'Project to sketch' button, Now select an edge where the helix intersects the cone. Press 'Ok'. Your resultant sketch should look like this:

Attachments

• 05.png
    05.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 20

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Now suppress both the cone and the helix, leaving just the 3D sketch active.

Attachments

• 06.png
    06.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 19

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Create a profile sketch (cross-section) of your tapered helix.

Attachments

• 07.png
    07.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,453

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Lastly create a sweep using the two active sketches as your profile and path. Et voila... a tapered helix.

Attachments

• 08.png
    08.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 21

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is a very handy tool and can be applied in many different ways. You can see another example of this here. Other areas where I have used this method are: tyre treads and support ribs/contouring over non-planar surfaces.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The method is really useful for lots of things, but there is an easier way to make a tapered helix - just use the taper option in the helical tools.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
The method is really useful for lots of things, but there is an easier way to make a tapered helix - just use the taper option in the helical tools.

Yeah, the tapered helix done this way is just an example of how to apply a method.

tome

When I create the helix in the last step I get this error. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,039
  • helix_foo.AD_PRT
    262 KB · Views: 18