What's new

TUTORIAL: Simple product structure in AlibreVault

TimoCAD

Hi Alibre-fans,

I've made a simple tutorial about setting up a simple product structure.
There are 3 product-levels for structuring and every project can have it's own product-structure.

So I hope this'll be helpful for some of you and I'm looking forward to see more discussions and helpful tips to set up a good database for CAD-data within AlibreVault (M-Files), I also need more tips and advice and am glad to help or to learn some new things about using "The Vault".

Have a good day! :)

Attachments

• 130314_AlibreVault_structure.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 246

jhiker

Alibre Super User
It's a nice piece of work and you've obviously put a lot of effort in to it - many thanks.

To be quite honest, I'd find it more helpful if I was proficient in technical German and could read the titles in the headings and the dialogue boxes, etc.

Let's be honest - this is the sort of thing that Alibre should be doing (and should have done when the vault first arrived on the scene).

Alibre's documentation regarding setting up, organising and working with the vault on a day-to-day basis is, quite frankly, woeful.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
Let's be honest - this is the sort of thing that Alibre should be doing (and should have done when the vault first arrived on the scene).

Alibre's documentation regarding setting up, organising and working with the vault on a day-to-day basis is, quite frankly, woeful.

+1, though M-Files tries much harder to provide good support. I sure hope M-Files sees a portion of the maintenance fees I pay Alibre.

Mike

TimoCAD

Hey Alibre- and M-Files-friends,

thank you for your feedback, it's nice to get some, so that you can improve things! :)

I try to translate the German words and maybe I can switch my M-Files into english. Let's see when I have time to do so, I'll load it up here.

And I can agree 100% that writing and making available a good documentation about the software should be the job of the software-producer.
I really hope Alibre picks up the ball and we will have some nice tutorials and a good, CAD-oriented documentation of the AlibreVault maybe in the middle of 2013!

Until that happens it would be nice to have some documentations of different AlibreVault-Users here in the forum. Maybe in different business-applications.

So keep posting and uploading! :D

MatsK

Hi,

Why the need of defining Top and Sub categories?
Ex: Hooks and under hooks I want to categorize by some kind of folders (round hooks) , (square hooks) etc.
How to accommodate this?

TimoCAD

Hi MatsK,

in my case I need a 3-level-hierarchy, so I set up hierarchical-value-lists to build my product structure.

My example product-structure is for a project "motorcycle", so the whole product-structure is defining the whole motorcycle.
For Norm- and Standardparts I'm going to set up a project "Norm- and Standardparts" and define a different structure.

For example the "Top-product: 100-Screws" underneath that "Product: 110-Hex-Screws" underneath that "Subproduct: 111-Outer-Hex-Screws".
In your example: "Top-product: 100-Hooks" undernaeath that "Product: 110-Round-Hooks" and "Product: 120-Square-Hooks".

I think the whole secret about beeing able to set up a "WFS-folder-like-stricture" - Like everyone here want's to have it - are the "hierarchical value-lists".
This IS a (virtual)folder- or product-structure and suits for almost every project you want to structurize.

Take a look at the *.png in the attachement.

I hope this helps you to build up your structure and to get a feeling for the vault. I have also many things to learn and am still busy with testing the vault.

Greetings and good luck,

Timo

Attachments

• Folders.PNG
    Folders.PNG
    36.4 KB · Views: 36
  • View-Proj-TopProd-Prod-SubProd.PNG
    View-Proj-TopProd-Prod-SubProd.PNG
    37.6 KB · Views: 43