What's new

Unable to make imported DWG work in Atom3D

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Once the lines are copied into a sketch you should be able to select the Extrude Boss tool from the Model ribbon. The lines are probably Red because it is not fully constrained.
If the extrusion fails then, while editing the sketch, activate the Analyze tool to see if there are errors in the sketch so you can repair them.

DavidR8

Once the lines are copied into a sketch you should be able to select the Extrude Boss tool from the Model ribbon. The lines are probably Red because it is not fully constrained.
If the extrusion fails then, while editing the sketch, activate the Analyze tool to see if there are errors in the sketch so you can repair them.
Ok that helped. I didn't realize that the analyze tool would identify the offending areas on the sketch.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I didn't realize that the analyze tool would identify the offending areas on the sketch.
David, I would suggest that you take a look at the tutorial video's on the Alibre website. Loads of good info in those that will get you through some of these basic first steps and these everyday scenarios.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
This (somewhat dated) video is still useful as it explains several of the likely issues.

DavidR8

David, I would suggest that you take a look at the tutorial video's on the Alibre website. Loads of good info in those that will get you through some of these basic first steps and these everyday scenarios.
Thanks, I'm slowly working through them.

DavidR8

Just wanted to say thanks for the help and guidance. I was really struggling with importing DWGs.
Getting all kinds of open loop and overlap errors. Sorted those out and then when trying to extrude I got an 'endpoint is wrongly shared by multiple entries' error.
Managed to figure out what that meant, fixed the issues and was able to extrude the part.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
It's common to find that existing DWG geometry has all kinds of problems, sometimes just because it's from a 2D view, sometimes because it wasn't well formed in the first place. That's why it is sometimes suggested that it can be quicker to re-model from scratch, than to start from a DWG/DXF import.

DavidR8

It's common to find that existing DWG geometry has all kinds of problems, sometimes just because it's from a 2D view, sometimes because it wasn't well formed in the first place. That's why it is sometimes suggested that it can be quicker to re-model from scratch, than to start from a DWG/DXF import.
I would have done that in this case too except the dxf was so messed up I was unable to pull dimensions from it.