What's new

Under Defined ????????????

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Can anyone tell me what is undefined in Sketch<1>? If you can, how did you determine it?

Attachments

• DOF Under Defined.AD_PRT
    255 KB · Views: 13

GeorgD

Hello oldfox,

you have not defined an angle to the coordinate system.
Look in the Sketch.

Georg

Attachments

264 KB · Views: 9

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Hi Georg,
I tried dimensioning various things, except your solution, to the axes but that didn't work. When I did an "auto dimension" the angle of
the bottom-left quadrant was not there so I manually added that angle. That didn't help either. I just didn't think about adding
any angles to the axes. You just taught me another lesson. Does this look like a deficiency (bug) in the program to you?
Big thanks.:D

GeorgD

No. I do not think it's a bug. But it is always a correct dimensioning to the origin necessary to avoid errors of the dimensioning. I like to work with the relationships midline.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
OK. Thanks again. Like I said, you taught me another lesson. I'll add this one to my "check this - check that" list.
Have a great weekend.

JST

Alibre Super User
Problem is that so often the part is already linked to the basic planes just by how it is drawn. One may tend to forget for things that are NOT "automatically" linked because they lack straight edges in-line etc..

jaysinn

Can anyone tell me what is undefined in Sketch<1>? If you can, how did you determine it?
I've been playing around with getting sketches "fully defined" and found a few tricks. For one thing, it seems that Alibre cares about the positions of nodes even more than it cares about the positions of lines. If you look at your original sketch, you'll see that there is one fully defined point at the center, but all the points at the corners of the square are not fully defined. So I used the Dimension tool to take a measurement (on the Y axis) from the center point to the upper-left corner point. That single reference was enough to "anchor" all the other points and lines.

Attachments

256 KB · Views: 4

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I always pick up a node point or sketch line and try and drag it, it soon shows you what is not defined. Then just CTRL-Z to undo the move and then add a dimension or constraint!

jaysinn

I always pick up a node point or sketch line and try and drag it, it soon shows you what is not defined. Then just CTRL-Z to undo the move and then add a dimension or constraint!
You can turn on colors to identify which elements are unconstrained, partly constrained, or fully constrained; you don't need to try dragging things to find out.