What's new

Unexpected Error. JAVA

jgore

Unexpected Error. JAVA

anyone know how to deal with this? I can't start a new part or anything.
Searched the web, and it seems this is a problem with many other apps out there. Maybe someone here knows wht to do. I can't contact support. I have sent several automated e-mails from the warning message, but im not sure they reach them. i don't get an automated response or anything.
what do I need to do?
I also noticed i get a "META REFRESH" when I hit certain pages on the net.
this has never happened before. i have my system updated as best as possible that i am aware of.
any comments?
Thanks,
Jamie
---------------------------------------

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignWorkspace.createTopologyContextForWorkspace
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignWorkspace.getTopologyContextForConfiguration
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignWorkspace.getTopologyContextForConfiguration
at com/alibre/design/server/Design.setActiveConfiguration
at com/alibre/design/server/Design.setActiveConfiguration
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignWorkspace.newEmptyPartWorkspace
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignWorkspace.newEmptyPartWorkspace
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignSession.initializeEmptyPart
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignSession__Filter.initializeEmptyPart
at com/alibre/design/server/DesignSessionFactory.newEmptyPartSession
at com/alibre/design/client/DesignContext.setEmptyPart
at com/alibre/app/ClientShell$OpenEmptyPart.onRun
at com/alibre/app/ClientShell$ThreadWorker.run
at java/lang/Thread.run

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Jamie,

Have you tried re-installing the Microsoft Java Virtual Machine?

Or, re-installing A.D.?

jgore

Re:

MilesH said:
Jamie,

Or, re-installing A.D.?

I was a bit concerned with the licensing. I made no attempt to re-install A.D. I did however try to re-install VM and I was just given another error. current installed is more recent apparently. I will try to do both of the above now.
Jamie

jgore

Re:

jgore said:
MilesH said:
Jamie,

Or, re-installing A.D.?

I was a bit concerned with the licensing. I made no attempt to re-install A.D. I did however try to re-install VM and I was just given another error. current installed is more recent apparently. I will try to do both of the above now.
Jamie

I have re-installed AD and everything seems to be working with the exception to the display. The main window starts small, and when resized the actual work area remains smaller then the window. I would post an image if I could. I do have a screen capture, but no host at this time.

Is this something to do with the lack of SP1. I have not re-installed it yet.
I also have a graphics card comming that supports dx9 and dual monitors for my dell poweredge 2300 dual 350 to see if I can get better performance than on my laptop, which supprisingly works quit well, minus this last error.

Thanks Miles,
Jamie

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Jamie,

If you re-installed with the latest version on the Alibre server, that should have SP1 incorporated, surely?

jgore

Re:

MilesH said:
Jamie,

If you re-installed with the latest version on the Alibre server, that should have SP1 incorporated, surely?

Actually, I was given the option to install or not when I first attempted to make a part. I said no, just to see what would happen. Do you think I ought to install it?

It's weird, when my screen saver comes on, and when I go back into AD, the picture refreshes itself and begins to work correctly. Im experimenting with it now. I hope the sp fixes this. kinda weird.
Thanks again,
Jamie

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Yes, definitely upgrade to SP1.

Have you re-booted since doing the re-installations? Sometimes it fixes odd glitches....

jgore

Re:

MilesH said:
Yes, definitely upgrade to SP1.

Have you re-booted since doing the re-installations? Sometimes it fixes odd glitches....

un-installed
rebooted
re-installed
opened and worked with display error.
installed sp1
rebooted
opened new part...Display Error Persists!

I'll play with the screen saver settings and run a test to see if I can prematurely cause it to fix itself. brb.
Thanks again Miles,
Jamie

jgore

Re:

I'll play with the screen saver settings and run a test to see if I can prematurely cause it to fix itself. brb.
Thanks again Miles,
Jamie

adjusted screen saver options and previewed
problem persisit
adjusted power option(latop)
still there
set teh time on the screen saver to 1 minute
waited
screen saver activated...
10.9.8.7....wiggled mouse :)
maximized AD
-----problem went away----
almost as if the very timer that sets off the screen saver, but not the preview button timer, sets things right.
I wonder if there is a sub system somewhere that needs to be adjusted in order to achieve max performance without the hassle of the screen saver bit....

I sure don't want to have to do this every time i start AD.

Thanks again for the help and concern Miles.
Jamie

MilesH

Alibre Super User

I guess you could try re-installing your graphics card driver....... it does seem like a graphics driver problem.....

indesign

Alibre Super User

Could be a card going bad too. Try reinstalling the driver first. If that does not help then you may need a new card. My son had one going bad and had all kinds of weird stuff happening in the graphics where it worked fine before.

jgore

I have founda simple TRICK!, to allow for the expansion of the interface on startup without haveing to go through all of the screen saver experiments previously stated.
Open up the color properties dialog before you begin your work with a maximised interface and press the O.K. button and the screen should return to normal. I have hopefully attached an image of before the trick to show what exactly I was talking about.
Hope this works for everyone with AD on their laptop or with an lcd screen..
Jamie

BTW: Anyone know of a good image host?
Thanks again

screenshotpl5.jpg

gregmilliken

Jamie,

Try this and let me know if it also corrects the issue you are seeing.

Maximize the window, then go to the Window menu and choose Split View. Choose any combination of horizontal, vertical or both, and then go back top none.

-Greg

jgore

Re:

gregmilliken said:
Jamie,

Try this and let me know if it also corrects the issue you are seeing.

Maximize the window, then go to the Window menu and choose Split View. Choose any combination of horizontal, vertical or both, and then go back top none.

-Greg

Greg,
I tried this and in fact the problem persists. It will remain when I try all of the view and return to normal view, my area will be a small upper left hand corner of the screen, even smaller than one of the view windows, always leaving me to do the "color properties" thing.

I am haveing other problems as well as described in another thread that I just updated.
Everything becomes a reference or constraint. A simple square with a circle in it or various other shapes. I have to lick on them in the design explorer and 'edit' them..2d sketch will not work. this may be a feature and I may be that much an amateure, and I am with alibre, but the onsense associated with the procedures to get something so simple turned around is becomming annoying..
any suggestions?
Thanks again,
Jamie

jgore

Re:

MilesH said:
Hi Jamie,

Did you try re-installing/updating your graphics driver?

i've tried vid drivers, and many other tricks..

I start a new part
color properties - trick - fix display thing
activate 2d sketch
draw a circle
switch off 2d sketch
switch 2d sketch back on----
AND WHAMMO

circle turnes purple in color, or dimension line?
and i can't click on it
i have to r-click in the dsgn edtr to click on EDIT in the r-clk mnu
im getting tired og this....
what to do next?
thanks

jgore

Re:

MilesH said:
Maybe Tim's right - it might be a hardware fault?

HARDWARE?

Im on a laptop. General hardware problems tend to effect the entire system in other ways. NOT just the cad prog. you are using.
Im just beginning to wonder if maybe AD has way too many bugs in it.
I am about to have to try Solid Works. There may be a quantim leap in price, but you do get what you pay for I guess.

Plus, Alibre lacks alot in terms of graphics and control. radial grids, tweens,snaps,trim/cut,enabled boss' genrated parts edit,etc,etc...

guess im too picky too use to corel or photoshop...
need a lot more control than the basic i would expect out of ms paint

thanks though,
if you huys can come up with somthing other than getting rid of my new computer, please let me know!
thanks,
Jamie

MilesH

Alibre Super User

Jamie,

These things are specific to your system.

If your graphics card was on the way out, the problems would likely show first in an application that used it intensively, such as Alibre.

It would be a lot cheaper to buy a new graphics card or computer than to change software.... If you need the power of SolidWorks that's an entirely separate decision.

There are some graphics bugs in Alibre and I'm sure they're aware of them.

MilesH

Alibre Super User

If this turns into a chronic problem you might consider setting up a keystroke macro to maximise your window and run you Color Properties trick.