What's new

Unistrut DXF scale?

KMoffett

I've tried to import Unistrut DXFs, specifically the P1000 profile. When it appears in the Drawing window the 1-5/8" wide channel is 194.716797" wide with a 1/1 scale in inches. Do I really need the set the scale as 1.625 to 194.716797 (which works)? Do I not understand how DXFs work, or does Unistrut have some secret method in their madness?

Ken

Attachments

• P1000.dxf
    17 KB · Views: 7

dlaery

Alibre Super User
Once upon a time I was told to import DXF in millimeters and then after you import you can change to inches. that still doesn't work out to 1-5/8' but I have had this be the case in GM and in another program I have.

Ken,

The P1000.dxf is made up of a polyline -- an entity GMD does not support. Here is a version that should work better for you...

Attachments

• P1000.dxf
    158.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Unistrut P1000.AD_PRT
    498 KB · Views: 3

KMoffett

Thanks David. The 3D stuff doesn't show up on their website, unless you know where to look. I think they need correct that.
Thanks Lew. When I scaled it down to the correct size in the Drawing and then copy/paste to a Part Sketch, it comes out as a few lines and arcs like your PRT. That's what I had wanted originally. Did you do all the dimensioning?

Now that I can get the STP files...:)

Again, thanks all.

Ken

KMoffett said:
Did you do all the dimensioning?
Yes, and the constraining as well. As a DXF, it was one of the most poorly considered and constructed "parts" I have ever run across. Hopefully, their STEP models have been constructed in a more useful fashion.

KMoffett

Lew,

According to their FAQ, they will no longer be "updating" their 2D DXF files. So far, the STP file I downloaded looks good.

Ken