What's new

Upcoming surprise :D

JST

Alibre Super User
I LIKE IT.

So....... would this work in any way to, for instance, constrain a tound pin to be within a round hole larger than the pin diameter, so that it can be anywhere in there but never pass the hole surface?

AND
As the next cool thing, can you produce the ability to "stitch together" surfaces into one surface that can be constrained to?

That way, one could constrain a roller to the inside of an obround hole for instance, or to a surface that is in some way not all in one plane, some sort of cam path, for instance.

Last edited:

Max

Administrator
Staff member
So....... would this work in any way to, for instance, constrain a tound pin to be within a round hole larger than the pin diameter, so that it can be anywhere in there but never pass the hole surface?

Yes, as long as the axes are parallel. I thought of you specifically when I posted this. It could be considered a toleranced constraint tool.

That said there is a performance hit a bit so you wouldn't want to be using this for every pin and hole. Though it's early and we haven't started optimization .

Second question is starting to get into collision detection with motion transfer, which we are looking at but is not the same thing. Though by using some combinations you can constrain a pin within a slot using what we've shown. Depends on the geometry. Cams would be less likely given what we've show above.

A preview of something coming a few short months after 2019.0 ships. :D
Hey Max -- Alright!!!, but does it apply to angles as well? [And what about Revolve Ratios and (if you will) Revolution to Piych Offset types of stuff?] (Says the guy who does not have to code it.) -- Lew

Reactions: MKR

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Also, Max... upcoming surprise? That's not how surprises work. ;)
Haha, It's just like the "surprises" I get at Christmas when I'm just about to open a present from my son and he then tells you what it is before you have chance to start ripping the paper off!!! ... It's still a nice "surprise" when you finally do :)

JST

Alibre Super User
Yes, as long as the axes are parallel. I thought of you specifically when I posted this. It could be considered a toleranced constraint tool.

Yes it could..... and I expect it to be helpful for that.

Performance hit is likely OK, since there usually are only one or two of them in a structure.

Keep up the good work!

DavidT

This is great news! What would be an even better addition would be the ability to add a tolerance range to any constraint.

JST

Alibre Super User
This is great news! What would be an even better addition would be the ability to add a tolerance range to any constraint.

Sounds like you can..... just constrain a circle of the tolerance to the location, and set the pin to be "inside" that. OK, circular tolerance.... but you can likely do two slot tolerance ranges and get a square or rectangular range.