What's new

Update changed part in an assembly

JerryB

I have an assembly created from a numbrer of part files. I have made corrections in one of the part files, but cannot figure out how to update the part in the assembly. Regenerate did not do it.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Did you open the part separately from the assembly while the assembly was opened or did you use the RMB Edit Here or Edit in new window from within the assembly?
In the first case, you need to close the assembly without saving, then reopen it and it should pull in the updated part.
In the second case the assembly will update when you Edit the main assembly (RMB on the part in the Design Explorer) if using Edit Here, or when you close the part window and return the assembly if using the Edit in new window option.

Last edited:

JerryB

I edited the part on a separate window, saved it, and then exited that window. SO given your feedback, I closed and reopend the assembly. Then clicked on Regnerate. The assembly then replaced the parts with the new version, but it also replaced an unrelated part with the new version. SO I deleted the incorrect part from the assemply and readded it, but it still came in as the newly edited (incorrect) part. It seems the references to one of the unrelated parts is now incorrect.s

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Did you create a part by copying a file outside of Alibre? It sure sounds like it. Alibre parts have internal reference numbers that get set properly when you do a Save As inside Alibre. Copying them externally means you end up with different files with the same reference and to Alibre, they are the same file.

albie0803

Alibre Super User
Also, please click on your name at the top of the page, select Signature from the dropdown and add the version of Alibre you are using.

Often answers need to be version specific. There's no point telling you how to do something if your version can't do it.

JerryB

Yews, I copied the files outside Alibre, then opend and edited the newly created file inside Alibre. I did this a number of times to cretate sililar parts, to avoid a lot of editng.
Is there a way to correct the internal references at this point?

JerryB

I did all creating of the parts before I created the assembly file. Where are the internal references? If they are name based referenced=s inside the Assembly file, then that should be correct since the Aeeembly wasn't creted until all the parts files existed.

JerryB

Ah, so each part file contains an internal numerical reference. So, what if I trash the assembly file. Then open each part file inside Alibre, do a save-as under a new name and delete the original, then rename the new file to the original name (inside Alibre). And then build a new assembly file. I'm thinking that would result in a unique reference inside each part file, and fix everything. Or is there some other hidden landmine I'm not aware of? Should that work?

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
It may not be necessary to trash your assembly but you could just do a Save As and rename the part(s) that are wrong. Then do a Replace on the wrong parts,
If you do "trash" your assembly then I would try your method on a small assembly so you don't have a lot of parts to contend with.

JerryB

I just thought of sometihing. I have a drawing file for each part. If I save-as, delete the original file and rename it back to the new name, how will that affect all my drawing files?

albie0803

Alibre Super User
The drawing file should pop up a box on opening saying it can't find the model and giving you the option to "find" it for it.
You may have to clean up or relink dimensions for each drawing though.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I posted a link to the Best Practices in my post #2, unfortunately those of Assembly are bit limited and need to be updated since they do not include anything about Save, Save As, or renaming parts and assemblies.

JerryB

Wow! I was able to get all the references corrected using "save-as" and all the drawing files were easily corrected as you described (only had to pull 3D projections in again). And as an added bonus, the assembly file was also easily corrected using the same approach. When I opened it, the same dialog appeard which allowed me toreplace each file with the corrected versions.

Thank you so much!!