What's new

Upgrade to 8.2

ChrisJ

Upgrade to 8.2

Has anyone successfully performed the upgrade?

I have tried to initiate this from two different computers and had zero success.

Chris

wiesen

Upgrade 8.2 caution

No Luck here. I got it installed, but the image refresh is screwed up. The display area goes gray for a few seconds everytime I move my mouse, making it impossible to do anything. I get the error

"(x8876086c) Direct Draw received a pointer that was an invalid Direct Draw object".

I have restarted, rebooted, reinstalled Directx9.0c, and reinstalled the latest video driver for my computer, with no effect. Navigating menus also seems slower. Tech support was not available and has not returned my voicemail. I assume they are swamped with calls.

wiesen

8.2 un-install

I didn't notice anything in the instructions, but is there a way to un-install 8.2 (other than system restore)?

fitzbond

Just got word it was released last night, I guess we will be getting an email sometime today or night.

fitzbond

Look what I found if you sign into the Alibre website and go the your account info look to your left and you will see "Upgrade to 8.2" I'm upgrading now :)

siggy

I got an email at 12:30 am this morning with instructions how to upgrade. I successfully upgraded at about 8:30 this morning.

Robert

ChrisJ

It seemed to work now, after hitting the Upgrade button consecutively 3 or 4 times in a row.

Chris

fitzbond

Make sure you read the "readme" file and make sure your video card has updated drivers. My 3Dlabs Oxygen GVX210 dual card is having problems with display window (not showing up) and the last driver update was back in 2001. :roll:

Upgrade worked fine here. Sadly, the assembly I'm working on actually seems a bit slower to edit, constrain, etc. I was looking forward to the '5x perfomance boost', but such an enhancement doesn't seem present in my current project.

Oddly, it seems that right around the 27th part my assemblies slow to a crawl. It's not a gradual decline in performance, just hits the system all of a sudden. I'm running on an AMD64 3000+ with 1 gig of RAM, when watching the task monitor CPU often pegs at 100% during editing of parts within the assembly.

I tried the 'deep regen' without any improvement.

Anyone seeing a speed gain?

ecoology

I upgraded this morning.
Everything seems OK, but I get only part of the active window working. If I split the screen, then go back to a single window, only one of the previous screens is alive.
Going nuts trying to figure this one out!
It works, just in part of the screen.
5 X faster - no way. A complex assembly seems to me to be the same, or a bit slower.

fitzbond

That's does sound good that the speed hasn't changed with assembly especially when speed was one of the main improvements.

bray

Upgrade to 8.2

To get my sytem up, I had to adjust the hardware acceleration up to full. this is in the dispay settings under "advanced, troubleshooting". This worked at home and the computers at work. It had to be adjust down to half on v8.0 . I am still having some issues with 2d drawings not displaying correctly.

Mibe

Alibre Super User

The improvement of 5x is an understatement.

I have tested V8.2 for about a month now and if you have the correct drivers it will run fast as if there are some steroids involved :)

Even a "huge" assembly with 1000 parts rotates and pans almost as fast as a single part did in V8.0 - just try the "turbo" button (Display Acceleration). :)

I just checked an earlier assembly that had become sluggish to display, and I'd agree that the display acceleration has improved dramatically.

My disappointment is that when editing parts in an assembly, and assigning constraints, operations are still sluggish. Adjusting a dimension on a sketch (when editing from within the assembly) can take minutes to update from the time I push enter.

In your 1000 part assemblies, how quick is the editing/contraining? Any tips for speeding that up?

Thanks.

fitzbond

Upgraded at home and man is it fast I have a a bunch of small assemblies put together a make a big assembly with all of the constraints and editing in assembly is also fast. I will be testing drawing that were I really had a slow down because I have so many views that go with the big assemblies. I'm happy so far. :)

k5man

Upgrade to 8.2

I just loaded 8.2 and have the following observations:

No problems loading DirectX 9.0c
No problems with the instructions
No problems with the website links
No problems with the download
No problems with the uninstall of 8.0
No problems with the install of 8.2
No problems running 8.2
No problems loading existing assemblies
Large assemblies do appear to rotate/pan faster, not sure if it's five times better but it is less painful to watch.

I have not had time to create new assemblies so I'm not sure if the other operations have improved. I still look forward to quicker performance but I am running AD on an Athlon XP-M 2800 laptop with S3 integrated graphics processor, 64MB of shared video RAM and 448MB of system RAM. So I have some work to do on my side too. :roll:

On the plus side, AD runs on my meager machine with no real problems. :D

k5man

scarr

Re: Upgrade

Hi Chris,
I installed the upgrade yesterday with no problems, including re-loading the Photo render package. I'm not sure how much traffic the upgrade server is seeing but that might or might not be a problem. I did my upgrade at 5:30 in the AM. Hope your successful, and remember Alibre support is there to help so don't hesitate to use their expertise.