What's new

Upgraded from 2013 to 2014 getting a lot of errors now?

Elrick

Is there any way to fix this or will I have to reconstrain all my parts in my assemblies again?? Theres new errors I havent seen before. Some configurations take 20 times longer to activate. Dont understand why a newer/better version would do this? In the beginning when I saw these errors I thought its because Im working on the same assemblies on two different PCs now I realise its a version clash of some sort.

Constraint over defined
Constraint not evaluated - unknown geometry
Constraint between fixed members
The source of this geomtry is not found

Attachments

• GM update errors.png
    GM update errors.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 72
Not having the assembly & part models, this is only a WAG (Wild Ass Guess) rather than a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) -- is any of your detail part reference geometry "sourced" to the assembly? Just about anytime I get that level of error messages, that is the case (or, somewhat less likely, the basis for reference geometry lies in a part file that was edited to delete base reference definitions). That is all that leaps to what is left of my mind...

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
My version has a lot of bugs, including Geomagic Has Stop Working bug. The drawing I am working should only take a few days. This straight out to weeks because all the bugs in 2014. :roll:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I have had these errors too on occasion. They are not due to bugs in GD, rather due to me making changes (however minute) up the line somewhere. I suggest you go through you models with a fine tooth comb (particular those required for boolean operations) and look for any possible alterations you made. And rejoice that GD points out these errors... the alternative could be catastrophic!

Elrick

Hi gents.
Lew_Merrick said:
is any of your detail part reference geometry "sourced" to the assembly?
Lew, you mean making geometry references from other part in the assemblies by using the same window to edit a part? (right click on part in design explorer, Edit here, and use something like project to sketch on a different part in the assembly?) If thats what you mean then yes! I enjoy doing this. Project to sketch is my most favorate tool. But I never use other parts in assemblies for reference geomtry such as points axes and planes. I would rather use the measurement tool to get proper dimensions to insert points, axes and planes. I've learned that my assemblies crash when I make changes to parts used as reference geometry for other parts or assembly constraints. The reoson why I choose a longer but safer way. I only recently learned when youre applying dimensions in 2d scetch mode that it picks up linear geometry from other parts in an assembly. Just like the spline recognizes edges and vertices in 3d drawings. I really love this coz it makes things so much easier. As far as possible I always delete references that are linked to other parts in an assembly (Shouldnt it only be relevant when you choose to maintain associativity?? I seldomly choose this when using project to scetch). Just to avoid the havoc.
bigseb said:
And rejoice that GD points out these errors... the alternative could be catastrophic!
I'm happy it didnt crash my assemblies and configurations atleast. :) I wouldve lost it if it did! This is my third attempt to improve its functionality. Theres one thing Ive noticed so far; When I remove the anchor from the parts the red cross dissapears at some constriants?
Lew_Merrick said:
(or, somewhat less likely, the basis for reference geometry lies in a part file that was edited to delete base reference definitions)
Could you please elaborate on this Lew?
RocketNut said:
My version has a lot of bugs, including Geomagic Has Stop Working bug.
I have learned to live with this :) I try to be observant and see which causes them and try to avoid them. Same needs to be done with these new errors I guess.

Elrick said:
Lew_Merrick said:
is any of your detail part reference geometry "sourced" to the assembly?
Lew, you mean making geometry references from other part in the assemblies by using the same window to edit a part? (right click on part in design explorer, Edit here, and use something like project to sketch on a different part in the assembly?) If thats what you mean then yes! I enjoy doing this. Project to sketch is my most favorate tool. But I never use other parts in assemblies for reference geomtry such as points axes and planes. I would rather use the measurement tool to get proper dimensions to insert points, axes and planes. I've learned that my assemblies crash when I make changes to parts used as reference geometry for other parts or assembly constraints. The reoson why I choose a longer but safer way. I only recently learned when youre applying dimensions in 2d scetch mode that it picks up linear geometry from other parts in an assembly. Just like the spline recognizes edges and vertices in 3d drawings. I really love this coz it makes things so much easier. As far as possible I always delete references that are linked to other parts in an assembly (Shouldnt it only be relevant when you choose to maintain associativity?? I seldomly choose this when using project to scetch). Just to avoid the havoc.
The area where I most commonly shoot myself in the short & curlies in top down design is adding a centerline to a part that is actually defined by a (say) hole in another part. So long as the two parts are linked such that they are only seen in the assembly situation, all is fine. However, when you go to work on the part that references another as a stand-along part, problems result as the CAD system (Alibre/Geomagic or otherwise) no longer "knows" where that reference geometry (centerline in my example) is actually located. The solution, such as it is, is to use that location of the "external part reference" to define reference geometry within the coordinate context of the "using part.

Similarly, you need to be very careful with Project to Sketch at the "assembly situation." Do not use the Maintain association to source entity option as this will leave "references" that are not always "available" to you in all situation. Instead, project the geometry and then define it through dimensions & constraints within the context of the part you are working on.

Elrick said:
Lew_Merrick said:
(or, somewhat less likely, the basis for reference geometry lies in a part file that was edited to delete base reference definitions)
Could you please elaborate on this Lew?
If you define sketch on a surface of a part that is later "removed" (for whatever reason), the context of that sketch is lost -- and an error results. To use the example that drove this home to me most clearly, consider a revolved surface that must be given Draft. The Draft tool requires a planar surface from which to determine semi-automatic Draft. Thus, I started off with a straight sided revolve volume for my part. I added a bunch of features based on the "edge" of that revolved volume. Later, I added a revolved volume to the "sides" of the part and I "cut away" (Extrude cut) either "end" to provide draft. All my previous features gave me an error because the "source" for their definitions no longer existed. Most of the time this is a non-fatal error, but it can become a fatal error as things progress. Taking the time to construct (and name!) reference geometry from which to "base" the "features" is the solution -- though you need to locate it by dimensions and/or Equation Editor values to be safe.

Does that help?

Elrick

Elrick said:
Does that help?

Yes! Thanks Lew. Certainly adds to the perspective of the situation. Sounds similar to what I thought. I try very hard to avoid these unnecesary problems. Only patience that keeps the boat floating :)

Lew_Merrick said:
Taking the time to construct (and name!) reference geometry from which to "base" the "features" is the solution -- though you need to locate it by dimensions and/or Equation Editor values to be safe.

This has become another habit of mine. When the design tree becomes too long this becomes essential. When I return to a file/drawing I created months ago this really helps to figure out what I did back then. One other thing I also love to do is to select a sketch and copy it with ctrl+c and paste it with ctrl+v. This cant cause any relations between different files/drawings/geomtry right?

bigseb said:
They are not due to bugs in GD, rather due to me making changes (however minute) up the line somewhere

It seems that the error "
Elrick said:
Constraint between fixed members
" werent related to any change of the geometry. It is simply caused by the anchor...? Think this must be a bug.

I'm being more carefull now. Feels like these assemblies are becoming like a game of jenga now lol Like JUKKIS mentioned in another thread its bad to make changes to assemblies outside the top/main assemblies. Especially when fiddling with configurations!! Had first hand experience with this today