What's new

Upgrading to "V18" (2015.1.1) or go v17

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Some veteran and new users are installing or "upgrading" to v18.

Would anyone agree with me that it might be worth considering v17? It does not have the latest features like Assembly Mirror and Keyshot live-link, but it seems to have the fewest showstopper bugs.

I'm running a v17 hotfix that is not on the archive.

The earlier version, 17.0.4 is on the archive, but that did have some issues requiring the hotfix. Not all users experienced the issues.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18251&p=113852&#p113625

Maybe support can provide a download for the hotfix?

Later versions have the boolean bug or the package bug, but v17 with the hotfix (v2105.0.0) has neither. (Package works ok, but zipping all files has BOM issue.)

For users upgrading from earlier or new GD users, what would you suggest?

Thanks,
TD

Attachments

• MSI-installGD-version.png
    MSI-installGD-version.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 888

JST

Alibre Super User
What is the "name" for 2015.0.1? I had thought that was V17, because I upgraded TO it from V16. I didn't know about 2015.0.0

I still have the downloader for it, in 32 and 64.

As for the hotfix, I believe that was automatically applied, as far as the info I read was concerned. Is there a way to know if it HAS been applied? Perhaps the significance of the "0.1" vs "0.0"?

For the moment I have declined the upgrade to "1.1", which is V18 I believe?

I don't know what I am missing, other than an integrated connection to Keyshot.

The Keyshot deal is no biggie, because GMD fails to properly work with Keyshot anyway..... the BIP creator inserts the part name in the "material" field, severely limiting the BIP file export, and requiring manual selection of Keyshot materials.

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
If you open the properties panel for the Geomagic Design.exe file in /Program FIles/3D Systems/Geomagic Design/Program (right click), you can get the build number in the details tab.

It's still referred to as v17, AFAIK.

My splash-screen says v2015.0.0 and I have the hotfix. The build number is in the pic above (17.0.5.17523) .

Other machines I use have 17.0.4.17510, which I believe is v17 before the hotfix.

Tyler,

I am running GMD V2015.1.1 (64 bit -- aka: 18.0.1.183201). Whereas I have "reported" a number of "issues" (discussed here in the forum), they are more PITA's than "problems" from my side of the street. It is, in general, a bit more powerful and, for the most part, stable than earlier V2015 versions. That is my "take" on things.

Lew

JST

Alibre Super User
The $64 question:

Does it do fillets any better?

Fillets could hardly get worse than they are, I routinely have at least one per model that will not "go".

JST said:
Does it do fillets any better?
Only extremely rarely having the fillet problems you express, I do not know. If a fillet can be created using a cutter, it virtually always works for me -- lathe or mill cutter. [I avoid hemstiching whenever possible.]

JST

Alibre Super User
Most (not all) of mine seem to go over curves, etc.

Theoretically a cutter can do that, ball-end end mill with multi-axis CNC..... GMD often will not

JST said:
Theoretically a cutter can do that, ball-end end mill with multi-axis CNC..... GMD often will not
That is what is known as hemstitching. You end up with a scalloped surface the fineness of which is proportional to the cube of the number of passes made with the cutter.

JST

Alibre Super User
They do not always have discontinuities. I just had it refuse to do a straight line, that had an equal radius fillet at each end, where those fillets were on radiused curves. There is no logical reason for it to have failed, but it does fail every time, even if the geometry is re-drawn. Obviously in the mathematical recesses somewhere, it is fund to be difficult. That one, IIRC gave a series of DIFFERENT errors. Capping faces, and floating point overflow are ones I recall.

In any case, if the geometry is fixed and unchangeable, that's what has to be done. GMD seems to fail about 50% of the time doing it with 2015.0.1 64 bit. We needn't discuss lofts... they fall in the same category.

I REALLY hate to say it, but this makes GMD MUCH less attractive. I LIKE GMD, I HAVE GMD, I'd like to KEEP GMD, and it irritates me that 3DS and GMD are doing their level best to drive me away.

I don't know if Ralf's comment is an indication that "18" is better at those things. It seems to be much WORSE at some other things, although I haven't seen an answer as to whether those problems persist past the incompatibility with prior versions.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi,
I am Reading many post from the topics like “Renew or Not?”, “Upgrading to "V18" (2015.1.1) or go v17Upgrading or not to V18” etc.
Currently I am in the V12-V15 with two separate computers. So without the global parametric that seem for me very attractive for my task of parameter between parts and assembles.
The reason that I am not decide to upgrade is the topic “v2015.1.1 Bill of Material Bug? “ where the author have had several time issues with booms of materials from its old files.
What happens? Is it still exist the issue or not?
I think the best way to achieve to keep its customers is to have the chance to save the files with its original format version because if it is plausible to open them with a new version why is not the same process when save it.
I do like the affirmation of
JST said:
I REALLY hate to say it, but this makes GMD MUCH less attractive. I LIKE GMD, I HAVE GMD, I'd like to KEEP GMD, and it irritates me that 3DS and GMD are doing their level best to drive me away.

I don't know if Ralf's comment is an indication that "18" is better at those things. It seems to be much WORSE at some other things, although I haven't seen an answer as to whether those problems persist past the incompatibility with prior versions.

I don't like loss hours and hours of dedication in one click "save as"

Thanks very much.

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Hi Giov,
17.0.4.17510 and 17.0.5.17523 (V2015.0.0) have global parameters, Assembly Features and no BOM package bug, no boolean bug.

No Assembly mirror, no live link to Keyshot (V18).

The bugs in v18 are not worth the two minor goodies, IMO.

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Ralf said:
Can you still remember: Boolean Subtract Bug
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18665&p=115757&hilit=boolean+bug#p115760
You, and some other user have confirmed, in V2015.1.1 the Boolean Subtract Bug has been fixed. :)

Yes, Boolean bug fixed in a version that may still have BOM bug...EDIT

EDIT:

Looks like BOM bug is fixed in 2015.1.1. (Thank you Ralf!)

So, 2015.0.0 and 2015.1.1 have least bugs (no boolean bug, BOM bug, DCM bug unverified in V18).

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Ralf and Tyler,
Thanks very much for your answers.It seems that the version 2015.1.1 should be very reliable.
How can I carry out "save as (version)"?

TylerDurden said:
Ralf said:
Can you still remember: Boolean Subtract Bug
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18665&p=115757&hilit=boolean+bug#p115760
You, and some other user have confirmed, in V2015.1.1 the Boolean Subtract Bug has been fixed. :)

Yes, Boolean bug fixed in a version that may still have BOM bug...EDIT

EDIT:

Looks like BOM bug is fixed in 2015.1.1. (Thank you Ralf!)

So, 2015.0.0 and 2015.1.1 have least bugs (no boolean bug, BOM bug, DCM bug unverified in V18).

Good afternoon all, I still have the BOM bug in version 2015.1.1
Still a bit of a showstopper. :(