What's new

Use line or point to constrain a sketch

I'm working in a sketch. I project a point from another sketch. Then I constrain part of my current sketch to that point, but then it moves. Why does the point that I projected from another sketch move? How can I constrain a sketch relative to another feature, line, or point within the design?

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are two ways.

First the explicit way of projecting exactly what you want (with maintain association and as reference figures enabled) and then dimensioning/constraining to those projections.

The second is the more implicit way of just dimensioning or constraining to where (edges, points,...) you want to and let Alibre project references automatically.

Each has its uses and drawbacks but they are basically the same result.

I imagine you didn't enable maintain association. To be honest I wish it defaulted (or remembered) to be enabled as that's my normal usage.

That was it: maintain association. That does seems silly to have to turn that on. I can't imagine not using that. Why would you project a line if you're just going to move it?

jfleming

Alibre Super User
I still, for the life of me, after 7 years of using this software, have not encountered a single instance where I DID NOT want to "Maintain Association". That should be the default.

beastro

I still, for the life of me, after 7 years of using this software, have not encountered a single instance where I DID NOT want to "Maintain Association". That should be the default.
Funnily, I hardly ever use "maintain association", but project sketches a lot. As you can see, beauty and wisdom is always in the eyes of the beholder and Alibre, like any other product developer, has to walk the thin line pleasing everybody.
Maybe that preference would be a good check-box item for the main setup dialogue?

sz0k30

Good for you!

I rarely want to maintain - so don't speak for me.

JST

Alibre Super User
Maintain association seem to come with baggage in terms of slowness.

I just project, then do dimensions, accepting the default values, which locates it positively in place. Seems easy, and does not bog the computer.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
That was it: maintain association. That does seems silly to have to turn that on. I can't imagine not using that. Why would you project a line if you're just going to move it?
It's giving us an extra bit of freedom with regard to our sketches. Not everyone needs/wants MA. Its one extra click to turn MA on so...

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I'm working in a sketch. I project a point from another sketch. Then I constrain part of my current sketch to that point, but then it moves. Why does the point that I projected from another sketch move? How can I constrain a sketch relative to another feature, line, or point within the design?
Try projecting the two intersecting lines that create the point. That way you'll have your point and it should work just fine with MA.