What's new

Use one sketch for multiple operations?

Engr62

Can I use a sketch to perform multiple cut operations? For instance, I would like to remove material by revolving a sketch about an axis. I then want to remove material in an orthogonal direction using the same sketch.

After removing material by revolving the sketch, I then selected the sketch (which was now under the cut revolution in the model tree) and selected extrude cut. But, the dialog box's 'OK' button was grayed out.

I ended up creating the sketch again and used the new sketch to do the orthogonal cut. But I'd like to know if this is possible for future reference. By the way, I was doing this with Professional V21 (I'm waiting until the mass bug is fixed before going to V22).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
In v21, as it still is in v22, you need to Project to Sketch any previous sketch you want to reference for subsequent operations.

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Can I use a sketch to perform multiple cut operations?

Yes if projected onto an existing solid model. A sketch by itself has no material until it is extruded or rotated.

I would like to remove material by revolving a sketch about an axis.

A "part" has material or body. And again, yes, you can rotate a sketch about an axis. If that sketch cuts a solid, it will remove
the swept material.

Just out of curiosity, what is the end product you are striving for?

Engr62

Just out of curiosity, what is the end product you are striving for?
This is what I was trying to do with one sketch. The end goal is a pocket that has a toroidal shape offset from Surface 1 with edges of the toroid projected out.
I ended up just creating the sketch again for step 2. The sketch is on a plane that is offset below Surface 1.

Step 1 is a revolve cut about the blue axis (the axis is below Surface 1)
Step 2 is an orthogonal cut to Surface 1

Attachments

• drawing problem.png
    drawing problem.png
    39.4 KB · Views: 19

oldfox

Alibre Super User
Got it... and so have you.:cool:

You could also have used a "full" oval sketch in place of the half by mirroring the first half. Either one would result in the same toroid.
Then you would just project onto the offset plane and extrude cut up to the surface. I usually try to work from planes and not
surfaces when I can so I have better use of the native planes, axes and the origin. Then I can use the origin for "Copy With Base Point"
when I want to use a previous sketch.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
This is what I was trying to do with one sketch.
Like Harold says you have to 'project' the first sketch to the second and maintain association. Edit sketch 1 (within boundaries) and sketch 2 will auto update.