What's new

Using Alibre as a drawing tool?

pridbor

I have never before thought about this, but is there a way to do 2D drawings directly within the "new drawing"

Sometimes I have the need for a quick sketch e.g. for some woodworking without the need for 3D or assemblies, so it would be nice if that was possible.

If not what are you gents using for such purposes? Must be cheap or free :)

gwbruce

I use ACTCAD. Standard is $199.00 and the Professional is $299.00. Very close to Autocad. I used Autocad for many many years. Needed something at home that I didn't have to rent. Found ACTCAD and I am very pleased. It's not free, but may be cheap enough. You own it forever.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - just activate 'sketch on sheet' and use the sketching tools. It isn't really designed with that in mind, but for simple stuff you can get away with it.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Hi I am curious,
I need know if ACTCAD from gwbruce or DraftSight from NateLiqGrav has a 3D parametric capabilities like Stefan 3DPoints. I have a old Autocad and has only 2D parametric add on called Autoparameter which links automatically with an excel spreadsheet.
Thanks very much in advance!

dwc

Alibre Super User
I need know if ACTCAD from gwbruce or DraftSight from NateLiqGrav has a 3D parametric capabilities like Stefan 3DPoints. I have a old Autocad and has only 2D parametric add on called Autoparameter which links
AutoCAD is 2D, I don't know ACTCAD, but DraftSight as an AutoCAD clone is also 2D, not 3D

simonb65

Alibre Super User
DraftSight as an AutoCAD clone is also 2D, not 3D
You can get 3D in Draftsight Premium ... but I'll hazard a guess that that comes at an eyewatering Premium price tag too!

Edit: Draftsight Premium $500/year subscription and you never actually own it, it stops working the minute you stop/cancel your subscription!

Last edited:

domcm

Draftsight is pretty much a rebranded version of Graebert ARES Commander. Graebert has been around for many years and is based in Germany. Another rebranded version of ARES Commander is CorelCAD which I have found is typically a bit cheaper. You can get a permanent license of CorelCAD for $699 (sometimes cheaper) which includes 3D. I have found the Graebert AutoCAD clones to be very good although they do seem to be a bit more buggy than AutoCAD.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Hi I am curious,
I need know if ACTCAD from gwbruce or DraftSight from NateLiqGrav has a 3D parametric capabilities like Stefan 3DPoints. I have a old Autocad and has only 2D parametric add on called Autoparameter which links automatically with an excel spreadsheet.
Thanks very much in advance!
If you have a copy of AutoCAD and want to work in AutoCAD I would suggest contacting Cadig (the makers of Autoparameter) for help. I contacted them about a problem I was having with AutoField and they were very responsive with a fix within a couple days.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
None of you have answered my question yet. :)
Have you actually checked out the features of each CAD application on their websites or even tried asking the question on their respective CAD forums? This is an Alibre forum after all!

GIOV

Alibre Super User
Have you actually checked out the features of each CAD application on their websites or even tried asking the question on their respective CAD forums? This is an Alibre forum after all!
simonb65: I am asking people who use these software as a complement to Alibre. So they know what I mean. I think it is clear.

gwbruce

I know that ACTCAD can do some 3D type work, but I never use it that way. I typically use it as a 2D drawing tool. I used AutoCAD 2D for many years and also Draftsight 2D for quite a while but didn't do any 3D style work in either one.

manuelz

LibreCAD is an open source simple 2D CAD software. Really good, fast and with many features. Available in Windows, Linux and Mac.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
If you have a copy of AutoCAD and want to work in AutoCAD I would suggest contacting Cadig (the makers of Autoparameter) for help. I contacted them about a problem I was having with AutoField and they were very responsive with a fix within a couple days.
I Nate, Thank you for your response!
I contacted Cadig and still haven't received a reply. I think Autocad doesn't like the 3D parameter (Autoparameter3D) because this is directly against the interests of Inventor. Do you understand?. So I would like to know about an alternative that will be a good complement of Alibre Design.