What's new

Using alibre for circuit diagrams and printed circuits

simonb65

Alibre Super User
For my purposes, just a generic resistor, generic capacitor, generic ground connection and so on would be fine
Create generic symbols/components in Eagle. You only need to copy an existing component and name it 'Resistor' and remove the values, part number, etc. I use other PCB packages and this is what I do for creating basic electronic designs for prototyping, then I change them to actual parts once they havd been determined so the BOM and manufacturing outputs are detailed. Don't use Alibre for drawing scematics when you already have a perfectly good tool that does it for you! Just use the right tool ... Correctly!

Failing that, use custom symbols as @DavidJ says, but you may as well invert that effort in Eagle and get the added benefit of seamlessly converting that to a PCB layout!

The other good application for this kind of thing is MS Visio using stencils. Easier to create custom stencils, place, rotate, scale, add connections, etc. I use this for harness, electrical and hydraulic schematics.

jaysinn

Create generic symbols/components in Eagle. You only need to copy an existing component and name it 'Resistor' and remove the values, part number, etc. .
I have tried and tried in Eagle to create my own parts and it never works. Something about the way they handle libraries totally escapes me. I go around in circles and never end up with a part I can use.

KMoffett

I too tried Eagle years ago and hated it. I've been using ExpressPCB. Free! Big library. Easy to create or modify symbols for schematics, and components for PCBs. The PCB layout is linked to the schematic. They have their own dedicated PCB foundry. But they will sell you the Gerber files if you choose to use someone else.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
DesignSpark or KiCad are 2 alternate free Schematic/PCB designers that are far easier and better symbol library management than Eagle.

jaysinn

Express PCB was a breeze to use; thanks! When I created components in Alibre, they had no "intelligent" connections to other lines I was drawing - not even the normal CAD "connect" facility.

3DPrince

I had some PCBs made by JLCPCB(China) and they have free PCB design software available - EasyEDA (easyeda.com) it is very good and comes with an incredible library of components.You can even make your own symbols/components. It includes an auto router.