What's new

Using configs for 2d drawing ??

kev h

Hi

Just having my first go at using configurations with a die holder and 2 slightly different dies that fit to it.

Assembly works well switching between each die . I was wondering though if it can be used to create the 2 different die drawings easily (only dimension once)

Cheers Kev :cool:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
I use different configurations for parts. There I have to create separate drawings for each configuration. I don't think you can have different configurations for drawing though.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
There are workarounds I have done however it leaves alot to be desired.

1] Drop the entire assembly inside another assembly without configurations in the top level.
2] Next choose the configuration you want on the (now) sub assembly level and save.
3] Create the drawing with dimensions, labels and such.
4] Save the drawing. - Do not edit this drawing in the future unless the assembly has been pre-saved with the correct sub assembly configuration immediately before!
5] Export as a PDF just in case.
6] Next choose the configuration you want on the (now) sub assembly level and save.
7] Reproject the drawing.
8] Modify the drawing with dimensions, labels and such.
9] Save as the drawing. - Do not edit this drawing in the future unless the assembly has been pre-saved with the correct sub assembly configuration immediately before!
10] Export as a PDF just in case.

Repeat 6 through 10 as needed.
This process isn't ideal. Since it is so important here it is again:- Do not edit the drawings in the future unless the assembly has been pre-saved with the correct sub assembly configuration immediately before!

kev h

Thanks for replies guys :)

After Sebs reply i just redrew the drawing which didn't take too long.

It would be good to just reproject with other version though :wink:

Cheers Kev :cool:

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
I use configs alot. I have attached a screen shot of a part that has 60 different configs. The only different between the configs is the beam width and the slot width. I used the equation editor to change the dimensions of these 2 sketches. I just made a new config using the base config as the copy from drawing. Then I made this new config the active config and making sure all the other configs are locked. Next I enter the new diam inside the equation editor that's common to the diam of them ( in the attached screen the common slot variable is "SlideOpeningWidth"), meaning I just change this one equation editor variable changes all 6 slots width,which is different in each config. If I have to change the shape that's common to all configs then I unlock all configs, make the change with the "BASE CONFIG" as the active config, then re-lock all configs.

I wanted to upload the package file for this part so you play with it, but was to large (appx 2.5Meg). PM or email me and I will send it to you. I wish they would increase the file size to 5MEG instead of the 2Meg it is now.

I hope this helps

RocketNut

Attachments

• Equation Editor.png
    Equation Editor.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 19