What's new

Using scaled parts as ribs

Hi,

I've created a part/feature from a sketch using boss extrude, and added it to my catalog. I then did a non-uniform scaling of this part to create another part that is 0.8 of the original in one axis. My intention is to ultimately use a bunch of parts as "ribs" through which I will do a guided sweep. However, when I add the part to different planes that I've created, it always shows the scaled part as the same size as the original when I add it to a plane, even though it shows as 0.8 of the original when I open it as a part. I noticed that the sketch behind the scaled part still appears to be the original shape and size, and this is apparently what is added when I load it from the catalog. I haven't been able to save the scaled part without its reference to the original sketch. If I add the same part twice using insert design and then try to scale the second part, it auto-scales the first one in real-time. Is there a way to break the link to the original part? What is the best way to do what I'm trying to do?

Thanks,
Bruce

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Scale/Mirror scales the finished part, not sketches nor features. Catalog feature saves the sketch or feature (before scaling).

In your description you switch between parts and catalog features, but they are very different things.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
You could use 'project to sketch' from a face of your scaled part, then copy/paste into sketch on a plane in your part that will ultimately include the loft.

Thanks for the suggestion, David. I appreciate it. I will also spend some time learning the difference between parts and features.

Cheers,
Bruce

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
difference between parts and features.
Parts are made up of features.

Which flavor of Alibre do you have?

Have you thought of using configurations, if you have that capability? If you do could you create configs for all the scaled rib sizes then insert your part as a Boolean Unite, if that is an available option for you. :confused:

Have you thought of using configurations, if you have that capability? If you do could you create configs for all the scaled rib sizes then insert your part as a Boolean Unite, if that is an available option for you. :confused:
Thanks for the suggestion, Harold. I have Alibre Design Expert v26. I will have to explore a bit before I understand what you're referring to.

Interesting...this might be exactly what I need. Thanks again!!

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Here's an old Alibre tutorial that explains configurations that may help. There used to be a tutorial that went thru the creation of a set of screws of various lengths but I can't find it.