What's new

V10.1 release?

cdub

V10.1 release?

Any ideas when V10.1 will come out? It usually comes out about 1 week after I install x.0, so I'm trying to wait this time and save the 45/60 min of my life....

swertel

Alibre Super User

Funny. We all were waiting for you to install 10.0 so 10.1 would come out. A cart before the horse argument if I've ever seen one. :wink:

cdub

10.0 SP1

Well, after biding my time and waiting for the first service pack, I've upgraded to 10.0 and gone straight to SP1.

My observation thus far:
This version of Alibre runs far better than any previous installation I've had. I haven't done any 2D work yet, but the 3D work I've done has gone flawlessly. In the past (all previous versions), I would regularly get crashes and other flaky behavior when editing parts in assemblies and especially when creating external references to skeleton and other parts. I just cranked through three assembly models EFFORTLESSLY without a single hiccup.

fantastic work!
cdub

swertel

Alibre Super User

I guess we have you to thank for it. If it wasn't for you delaying your implementation, the entire universe would have spiraled into another dimension. :wink:

indesign

Alibre Super User

Glad to see all is well.

I hope you like the tools in 2D as well. You can now modify a solid without closing the 2D (refresh updated views). On enice feature that I like is the ability to change a desing feature straight from within the 2D and it will update the closed 3D file for you when you save.

I just changed the length of a part withour even opening the solid model but it saved the updated model when saving the 2D.

Uman

I just changed the length of a part withour even opening the solid model but it saved the updated model when saving the 2D.

So the 2D drawing can drive the dimensions in a closed 3D model.
I was not aware of this capability.

How is this performed please?

Jeff in Florida

wathavy4

Alibre Super User

Hi, Jeff.
I was not aware of this either....
When you create new drawings, you have an option to automatically dimension or not. You need this to be YES. This dimension is called driving dimention in the reference manual. All other dimensions are reference they call. The driving dimesion are changeable from drawing just like anyother dimensions in the 3D design. So you even can access equation editor by clicking right hand side button, I seem to remember.
And I thought the reference dimensions which we usually create later with 2D drawing does not have this ability, please make sure with simple model.

hartlw

Alibre Super User

v8 cd tutorial shows drawing dimension (edit it) driving model dimension, which is pretty standard. I am certain you can't do it with a reference dimension because a reference dimension doesn't change size.

dgstoll

Dimensioning a sketch like you would dimension a part in a 2d drawing has some real benefits if you use the design dims in the 2d drawing. It will also affect how you start a sketch in relation to the origin.
daveS

indesign

Alibre Super User

This works with dimensions that are auto-populated from the 3D model. Yes sketch dimensions for sure can be changed but also extrusion distances as well can be changed.

Very nice to have this feature when the engineer wishes to change a length in the middle of reviewing the 2D drawing.

Just right click the dimension and select edit or double clcik the dimension. You can drive the solid model basically thi sis done by having access to the equation editor at this point. This also means you can change other values in the equation editor once it is opened. (equation editor can be opened by clicking the box beside the input window just like if you were in part sketch mode and dimensioning a feature.)