What's new

V11.2 Bug: Losing Edge references in Sheetmetal

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
Anyone else ever use the Flat Pattern button to check a Sheetmetal model, then lose the ability to make new Flanges because you can't get the Flange tool to find an edge?

It's like all the edge references get stuck in the flat position. Without having a tool selected, if I move my cursor over an edge, the highlight appears where it would if I'd flattened the model. If I am using a tool, such as the Flange, the only way to select an edge is to hunt for where it would be if the model was flattened.

The only fix so far is to save the model, close, and reopen it.

Attachments

• sheetmetal_bug.PNG
    sheetmetal_bug.PNG
    43.8 KB · Views: 134

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Mike,

This kind of problems will come if you switch the "first tab" ( with bend or rebend ) from the XY Plane to another plane.

Hold the first tab always on the "Starting/XY Plane, then it will not happen.

I asked during the V11 beta...

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
How about this one: Ever have Alibre freak out with errors after you change the thickness on an existing sheet metal part? Had that happen a few minutes ago.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
:D
As in practice, when a 1 mm plate was bent, it can not be thicker...after bending. :wink:

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
But a parametric solid model's parameters should be able to change; as that is the name of the game. Shape then size. :wink:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
NateLiqGrav said:
But a parametric solid model's parameters should be able to change; as that is the name of the game. Shape then size. :wink:

Ok understand, you want to increase the "Sheet metall" improvement a bit.
I hope you know the development effort and the development costs... :wink:

Ralf

Alibre Super User
What do you mean is more important for the most of users: 2D or sheet metal improvement ? :)

cherkey

The only thing that I've had issues with is modifying an older version SM part... tends to act very funky...
(Missle - that reminds me of a Klingon bird of prey :p )

OTE_TheMissile

Alibre Super User
:mrgreen: It's a piece of mounting hardware for a passenger floorboard I'm working on. The first version was a solid billet piece with 3 threaded holes in it that bolted to the floorboard. But that looked like it'd be too expensive to manufacture, so I redid the design in sheetmetal.

We don't have a part number issued to this project yet, so in my infinite boredom I nicknamed the billet mount the Rat Bracket, because it looked like a rat's face. The first sheetmetal design (shown) was a little smaller, so it became the Mouse Mount. Since I posted that picture I've added two support flanges to the angled end, and due to the shape it forms when bent I've affectionately named it the Frog Flange.

What can I say, it was Friday afternoon and I was waiting to leave for the R/C races. 8)

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
Mike,

This kind of problems will come if you switch the "first tab" ( with bend or rebend ) from the XY Plane to another plane.

Ralf,
While this may be a way to avoid the ghost image problem, you can not always create the sheet metal part to conform to the "start on the xy plane" rule. What about design in place where the starting plane would be a different default plane or a user created plane?

Just my opinion, but I think it has something to do with Alibre's insistence on flattening the part to the XY plane. Which may be related to the way the flat pattern is previewed for 2D drawings. :? :?:
A great enhance to sheet metal would be to allow the user to change the fixed face about which the part would flatten. Just like in the Unbend feature where you are prompted to select a "Fixed face". But that may require a Flat Pattern feature in the Design Explorer. (Oh gee, it' starting to look like Solid***ks. :shock: )

H.
v11.2

Ralf

Alibre Super User
HaroldL said:
ralf3 said:
Mike,

Ralf,
While this may be a way to avoid the ghost image problem, you can not always create the sheet metal part to conform to the "start on the xy plane" rule. What about design in place where the starting plane would be a different default plane or a user created plane?

Just my opinion, but I think it has something to do with Alibre's insistence on flattening the part to the XY plane. Which may be related to the way the flat pattern is previewed for 2D drawings. :? :?:
A great enhance to sheet metal would be to allow the user to change the fixed face about which the part would flatten. Just like in the Unbend feature where you are prompted to select a "Fixed face". But that may require a Flat Pattern feature in the Design Explorer. (Oh gee, it' starting to look like Solid***ks. :shock: )

H.
v11.2

Harald,

It works without problems, if you follow this rule consistently. Top Down is therefore not possible.
Of course, sheet metal must also be improved.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
HaroldL said:
ralf3 said:
Mike,

Ralf,

H.
v11.2

Harald,

It works without problems, if you follow this rule consistently. Top Down is therefore not possible.
Of course, sheet metal must also be improved.

Ralf,
I just found that the only consistency is that problem pops up even when I start on the ZY plane: :x :x

Hoping for a fix will be in v12.

H.
v11.2

Attachments

• lost on the xy plane.jpg
    lost on the xy plane.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 87

Ralf

Alibre Super User
ralf3 said:
Mike,

Hi HaroldL,

That was my reference to help or to explain the problem with sheetmetal.
I guess there is a misunderstanding, I can not be the target of the anger with sheetmetal problems. :)

Every day I sit on the support phone for German user/customers, and I have to give answers to questions: Also Sheetmetal annoyances.

Nevertheless, I think Alibre is on the right way, even with improvements in conjunction with sheetmetal...

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
My apologies Ralf,
I didn't mean to offend you or to blame you for the problems with sheet metal. I only wanted to point out that sheet metal started on the XY plane would exhibit the ghosting anomaly after using the Flatten command.

As you mentioned, you asked about it during v11 beta, so, if it was the suggestion or insistence of Alibre that this would not happen then they are wrong, not you. Sheet metal does need some much needed and asked for enhancements, I just hope they come soon.

H.
v11.2