What's new

V12 Rocks !

Alexander

I just want to say "THANK YOU ALIBRE" :D

What a brilliant upgrade, I do a lot of sheet metal work and have been looking forward to the contour flange feature for ages, saves me hours of work. Also the part sketching improvements are superb.

By the way, I have to use Inventor 2010 Pro for my daily job :oops: I much prefer using Alibre, for several reasons.

Thanks again.

Alexander

willdean

It does look very good in the little play I've had so far. Like the new sketching stuff, and it feels very fast.

Managed to create a completely impossible combination of shell and fillet without complaints from the solids-engine. Not sure if that's an improvement or not yet...

Section views can now be named and you can measure from edges generated by the section plane - that's worth the upgrade on its own to me.

Well done guys!

rogpf44

Hello,
I was pleasantly surprised to see that version 12 runs faster on my system than version 11 did. (2 gigs RAM was my concern)
Loading parts/assembles and part relocation all seem to go faster and smoother.
The only minor problem that I have had was that I didn’t understand how to use the new “rotate” tool.
I actually had to break down and read the user guide.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Well, my manual uninstall via the Control Panel has been running for about 25mins!

Alibre reports 'Time Remaining 0 seconds' but the CPU usage is hovering around 50/60%

I daren't force it to stop but how long do I leave it?
I have a feeling this is going to go horribly wrong.. :shock:

Attachments

• PIC#1.jpg
    PIC#1.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 112

BernardK

Alibre Super User
I have updated a desktop machine with XP and a laptop with Vista. On both machines I uninstalled Alibre 11.2 from the control panel. The XP desktop was quite quick (1-2 minutes) but the Vista laptop took around 5 minutes. The XP desktop installation was started by double clicking the .exe file from Explorer. The Vista installation was started by right clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator'. Both installations worked without problem. XP desktop was quicker, but both installations completed within 5 minutes.

During the uninstall and the subsequent installation I would expect the disc drive light to flash as files are accessed. If the light goes out completely for more than a few minutes, or appears to be stuck on, I would suspect that something had stopped and hung.

Hope this helps!

jhiker

Alibre Super User
I think i need to stop the uninstall as it's been going for 45mins but I'm not sure whether to 'Cancel' or 'End Task' .. :?

BernardK

Alibre Super User
Probably won't make much difference. Try Cancel first and it may stop in an orderly way. If all else fails, hit End Task.

Just out of interest, do you have a dual core processor. The CPU usage of 56% suggests one processor is fully occupied.

Good luck!

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Pentium 4 630 3.00GHz - whatever that is....

I'll give it a go in a minute.
Thanks

Cairns

I had a very large assembly that was painfully slow but in V12 I can spin it around like it was a single item. Much faster, thanks.

Using the rotate function to see how an assembly is going to move works much faster now as well. The triad tool is pretty cool too, well done.

Some of the contraints for my assemblies were screwed up and I had to reset them. The new constraint tool made that task much faster though. So far I'm pleased.

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Crossed my fingers and ended the hung 'uninstall' - v12 seems to have installed just fine - love it!

BernardK

Alibre Super User
A couple of issues I have noticed that bug me. First is that the home window quite likes the top left corner of my screen and keeps going back there each time I open it!

Second is that I prefer the shaded display without visible edges. Each time I open a part or assembly it is set to view visible edges. In V11, once set to shaded only, it stayed there.

Anyone know how to fix this?

MilesH

Alibre Super User
Bernard,

Shaded with visible edges is the new default. No way to change this.

You can change the default Part colour now, though. You can also set the default for edge colour, so I guess you could set them to the same........

I do think we need the ability to set the default display mode, though..........

BernardK

Alibre Super User
MilesH said:
Bernard,

Shaded with visible edges is the new default. No way to change this.

You can change the default Part colour now, though. You can also set the default for edge colour, so I guess you could set them to the same........

I do think we need the ability to set the default display mode, though..........

I think I just heard someone's head thunk on their desk in Texas! :roll:

swertel

Alibre Super User
There has got to be a way to do that. I never tried to change it in beta, and I'm not sitting at my computer with Alibre on it, so here are some places to start looking.

1) Color Schemes. Create your own color scheme and see if there is an option there.
2) Set your preference and then go to the file properties and save the settings to the system.
3) Set your preference and then save it as a new part template.
4) Registry hack, but I'd have to find the key.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Bernard - I think the Home Window now remembers where you last parked it. So drag to where you like it and it should open there the next time you open Alibre.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
It seems a bit odd that some annotation settings are persistent yet the display setting is not. It is no big deal to have the display setting icon on the toolbar and keep pressing it. Or just get used to having edges displayed. I'd be grateful if you do find an answer, but I guess it is no big deal.

swertel

Alibre Super User
Now that we can create custom toolbars, I did just that.

I made a custom toolbar with 4 icons: Visible lines, Hidden line, shaded, shaded with visible edges -- or whatever the 4 display states are. I placed it right next to the view orientation toolbar and all is well.

BernardK

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Bernard - I think the Home Window now remembers where you last parked it. So drag to where you like it and it should open there the next time you open Alibre.

Thats the problem. It doesn't. I have upgraded both the desktop with XP and the laptop with Vista. On both the home window insists on starting top left. I must have dragged it around five miles by now! :)

Again, it is no big deal and I know there was some discussion during Beta testing. I must admit I think the small File Open icon is a mistake. I use it regularly and it doesn't stand out now. Typical of fixing something that ain't broke and ending up with something less effective. Overall the new features are a positive improvement and clearly some of the annoyances have been fixed. I have used solidworks and Alibre is at least as good for what I need, if not better.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
My main PC definitely seems to remember where I last had the home Window.

I've now updated all my 3 machines, though I haven't used them all seriously I have noticed that things aren't consistent. One had animated view transitions disabled after installing v12, another had it enabled (haven't checked #3).

My laptop complains it can't contact the Alibre licence server - hopfully that's just traffic levels with all the downloading.

On main PC - shaded + visible edges shows some edges that defintiely shuldn't be visible, maybe time for a graphics card driver update....