What's new

V16 Bug

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Something I picked up:

I opened a step file in GD V16, saved in native format and then closed the workspace. However I cannot delete the step file until I shutdown GD complete i.e home window and all. Its as if it won't release the file. If I open a new step file (without shutting down GD) then it has two files it won't release i.e. the first and the second.

Here's the error message I get when trying to delete the original file without shutting down GD:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 66

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Hi Sebastian,

Maybe, several sessions are running and therefore the message is shown.
(An active session does not release the file in an other session.)

Attachments

• Taskmanager.png
    Taskmanager.png
    40.4 KB · Views: 58

bemfarmer

This is a windows (7?) message?
I've seen it with other software programs.
A google of "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program" brings up hits
which I do not understand either...
- Brian

GaretDH

Alibre/Geomagic has had horrible garbage collection for the last several releases, and appears to be getting worse.

rephil

I experienced that with a Part file - the file handle wasn't released and I couldn't rename it in Explorer until I closed GMD entirely.

Surely it's been submitted as a bug report, but I'll file one as well.

Cheers,
Phil

Ralf

Alibre Super User
I experienced that with a Part file - the file handle wasn't released and I couldn't rename it in Explorer until I closed GMD entirely.
Phil, it is not a good idea to rename existing Alibre/Geomagic Design files in your explorer.

jack_

If he shouldn't use Windows Explorer what else should he use?? ;-)

1) Open the part, assemble or drawing.
2) Close the part,...
3) Try rename, delete part,...
Blocked because of Geomagic Design.

I got this sometimes. You have to fully close Geomagic.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
jack_ said:
If he shouldn't use Windows Explorer what else should he use?? ;-)

Any re-naming should be done by using the 'Save As' capability from inside Geomagic Design. Renaming in Explorer WILL lead to wrong items appearing in assemblies - there must be scores of questions about this in previous threads...

Those using Vault CAN rename files without causing problems.

jack_

I disagree - Save As makes a copy.

When you rename some part of assembly Geomagic just asks you to reassign the file - is this a problem??

The bug is - why Geomagic doesn't release file handle after closing part.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Just an UPDATE:

This hasn't happened since so it may have been something else. Still testing though.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
jack_ said:
I disagree - Save As makes a copy.

When you rename some part of assembly Geomagic just asks you to reassign the file - is this a problem??

The bug is - why Geomagic doesn't release file handle after closing part.

YES it is a problem in many cases - hence Ralf's initial comment. Just look for all the threads where users complain that the wrong parts get inserted into assemblies.

It can work OK, if there is just a single file - but new users often make copy and rename in explorer, then use this as basis for a variant design, that is when thing go wrong. If just changing name because (say) it was spelt incorrectly, things should be OK.

First of all, I have been noting the non-release of file handles since Alibre V10. I am not so sure it is an Alibre/Geomagic issue as it is a Windows issue as I see this happen with a number of programs (not all of them CAD-related). My observation is that the non-release of file handles is more likely to occur when you have a "fair number" (imprecise though I know such a term is) of "large" (another imprecise term) files open at the same time.

The first time I was aware of this issue was when I was building my socket head cap screw library (the first version). I had V10 open as I stepped through the various length/thread length configurations of a given screw size, the spreadsheet that gave me detail dimension & references for each size of screw, a text file of formal ID's for the screws, a copy of FED-STD-H28 open as a PDF, as well as my e-mail system. Somewhere about having done the 15th to 20th Save As to a revised file ID, the system would slow down and accessing previously defined AD_PRT files would fail until I shut down V10 completely and restarted. I had also just changed over to the Vista operating system.

However, I have also experienced this same behavior with: SolidWorks, ProE/CREO, SolidEdge, LibreOffice, and VPN-based access to client's internal database managers. With LibreOffice Calc running several open spreadsheets all the open spreadsheets get linked together and become inaccessible after such an "event!" My gut feel is that this happens when I am accessing more than (say) 4GB of total RAM, but I have never been able to prove this as a fact.

dwc

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
this happens when I am accessing more than (say) 4GB of total RAM, but I have never been able to prove this as a fact.

Maybe that is why I have never seen it, as I only have 2G Ram installed.
On the other hand both AD2012 and GM2014 are very stable programs, I run often over a week without closing the programs and have never had a problem even with what is for me big assemblies of over 400 parts.
It gets slow and churns the disk, but has always worked, I have also never seen non-closed files.
I'm running on a laptop under Vista.
I am wondering if V16 makes more demands on the drivers and if we should be updating drivers again, something we have sort of forgotten about.
Old drivers sometimes have repercussions that are non trivial.
Don

FYI for everyone, there is a bug (though not consistent) that was discovered since launch; causing Design to not terminate it's process when closed.
There are a lot of other reasons for the file being accessed (this happens a lot with me an Excel, actually), as others have pointed out; but if Design is not closing correctly, it's certainly not helping.
We will try to have a fix soon; in the mean time, you might need to use the Task Manager to end the task if it doesn't close properly.

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Happened again. Working on a file, closed it and RAM still sky high. As you can see on the screenshot only the home window is open yet GD is still using over 7Gb...

Support has been contacted too.

Attachments

• RAM.jpg
    RAM.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 52

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
My experience has been that AD/GD does not release memory until the program is quit. (Even with AD2012.)

So, closing a part or assembly would hold ram and cause me issues since my laptop has shared-memory display hardware; a full quit would release the memory and I could get my workspace back.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
Every since I been using AD (now GM) it has never released the memory when closing the model. I think I mentioned this before, but could not find it any searches. Some of my models (like the attached screen shot) are pushing 5 or 6 GB in size, if I don't shut down GM and call up the same model weird and strange things happen. Like only the sketch out lines are shown to mention one of the strange results.

RocketNut

Attachments

• MainGear Carage.jpg
    MainGear Carage.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 50