What's new

V16 Worth Installing?

Dave H

I haven't upgraded to V16 yet due to the mixed reviews I've seen here. I currently use 2014. Is it worth upgrading?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
I'd suggest you at least take a look. Much of the comment here was related to a perceived lack of new features not related to 3D printing, or discussion of the licensing system changes.

Before installing, you can check out the 'What's new?' document on the new download resource. I've found the improvements to the helical tools useful already. I can see that I will at some point use the new mesh import capabilities.

There have been some actual problems reported - relatively small in number for a new release.

Dave,

The short answer is, "Yes."

I waited several weeks before installing. I was in the middle of a very complex and time sensitive design effort and could not have afforded anything that might delay the project when V16 was released. I installed V16 last Friday night. The only "hitch" is it not recognizing my license for Dynamics (with the e-mail going out in that regard sometime after 9 PM Pacific time, so no response yet).

Other than that, I stepped through about a dozen projects (models & drawings) over the weekend without a problem. As a longtime user of CAD/CAE/CAM software (i.e. going back to 1971), I understand clearly that bug-free software is a myth -- but I have yet to find the bugs that we all know will exist. From my side of the street, the added flexibility in the Helix Tool falls in the wonderful category. All my alibre_unicode_custom files came through without a hitch. My alibre_unicode.hps extensions came up right away without any added effort. Even my traditional pull-down menu interface came through without my having to dig for the interface controls to escape the "Gem" interface came through unmunged!

My observation is that much of the improvements in V16 focus on things that relate to 3D printing -- something I am sure shocks all of us, right? Most of the operational improvements are less obvious -- such as having the feature creation forms be more consistent and allow for feature naming in a consistent manner. As I noted above, the improvement to the Helix Tool are wonderful. I am under the impression that quite a bit of work has been on API calls (not suggesting that more work does not need to be done in this regard). Similarly, I believe that foundational work has been done with regard to the Equation Editor -- but that the more "impressive" changes in this area are still "pending."

The biggest downside is the fact that the new license-server arrangement delays the initial start-up of Geomagic by some fairly significant number of seconds before the system is ready to rock & roll. I am somewhat of the opinion that this is something that will get better and what we are seeing now is new system shake-out issues rather than some long-term problem. The other (apparent) downside that I have noticed is that running somebody else's Geomagic through my GoToMeeting interface is much slower and less responsive (something I spent a couple of hours doing on Saturday).

This is my take on things.

MikeHenry

Alibre Super User
Thanks for asking the question Dave. I was about to do the same so it's a pleasant surprise to see the question already answered.

Mike

jhiker

Alibre Super User
Lew_Merrick said:
As I noted above, the improvement to the Helix Tool are wonderful.
Ooh - what's that! Is that detailed in this document...
Thanks

Attachments

• 2014-03-31_17h16_01.jpg
    2014-03-31_17h16_01.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 23

bigseb

Alibre Super User
jhiker said:
Lew_Merrick said:
As I noted above, the improvement to the Helix Tool are wonderful.
Ooh - what's that! Is that detailed in this document...
Thanks
The helix axis no longer needs to lie on the sketch plane. Very happy about this.

Kunstmaan

Alibre Super User
Hi David,

Could you provide a link to that document as i cant find it on de website.
Whats the newe download source?

Mareike

Jimpulse

Alibre Super User
Just to clarify K-man, I'm on Internet Explorer 8, not Windows 8...I poinedt that out since I.E.8 is starting to show increasing incompatibility and page load failures due to it's age.

Andrew Roth

I have the same issue with ie 10 image is incomplete
also can't seem to post right now via ie10
had to switch to ie8 computer

jhiker

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
Jeff - that document is out of date. You need the one from the new download resource.

This should link to the file (but site is sometimes slow) https://3dsystems.teamplatform.com/ufiles/750745/download?pid=67155&token=60dvsqblb067
Hi David,
Thanks for that. Actually I looked on the Geomagic site but for the life of me I could not find a 'What's New' document.
Furthermore, I cannot find a 'Downloads' resource page.
Where the hell is it and how do I access it. Do I need a new account? Do I need to sign in before I can see it?
Jeff

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simplest way is to follow the link from the e-mails sent out with activation keys for v16 -

Follow the download Geomagic Design button - on the next page, the software link as at top, next down is the 'What's New' pdf.

The Geomagic support web site can be interesting to navigate - once you get into the Geomagic Design section, you need the 'Getting Started' section. I've found that if I send links, they don't always work for others.

Geomagic support site http://support1.geomagic.com/ics/support/splash.asp

Scroll down to Mechanical Design -> Geomagic Design -> Getting started

jhiker

Alibre Super User
DavidJ said:
The Geomagic support web site can be interesting to navigate

Aye, that's an understatement.... :shock:
I got this far but I still can't find the 'What's new' thingy. Never mind - you were kind enoughto post the link.

Attachments

• 2014-04-01_10h35_35.jpg
    2014-04-01_10h35_35.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 9

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does this help ? I'll mail you the PDF separately.

Attachments

• GM web site.jpg
    GM web site.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 11