What's new

V17 want to return to V16

LewisA

I upgraded to V17 knowing it was a beta, opened some of my files and what to go back to a more stable version. The files I opened and saved, are not backward compatible. Is there anyway to go back?

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Just uninstall beta V17 and install V16 again.
With V16 you cannot open, saved files of V17.
Hopefully you have made a backup of your V 16 files.

Lewis -- Beta Test is, by definition, a semi-stable pre-release version distributed to allow a wider group of people to find things that slid through unnoticed during Alpha Test. Once you have changed (upstream) versions, your only (minimal) salvation is to save the model as a dumb solid using something like a STEP output.

RocketNut

Alibre Super User
sz0k30 said:
LewisA said:
Nope, didn't know that. Was there a warning I missed?

That's standard on every computer system. None are backwards compatible.

For example Windows 7 can not open Windows 8 files. The reason is the way the files are written to incorporate the newer features/functions. The perverse version does not understand what the file data is.

As sz0k30 said this has been the case from the very first computers.

NateLiquidGravity

Alibre Super User
Except in the case of Geomagic Design part/assembly/... files - unless you used a new feature or they changed format - the only difference is probably a version key hidden in the file to prevent it from being backwards compatible. I know in the past (many moons ago) when I had this trouble I was able to edit the version number inside and all worked just fine because I had not used new features and the rest of the formatting was still the same. Your results may vary.