What's new

V2011 & Multicore Processors

weppler

I just discovered that v2011 (32-bit) doesn't make full use of multicore processors.
On my dual core only one core is even close to fully used (~85%) during intensive tasks like regenerate.
The other core is mostly idle (~15%).

I hope Alibre addresses this.

Keyshot, on the other hand, uses 100% of both cores unless some other process requires attention.

mshideler

read this thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8495&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

it sums up the multicore issue and CAD packages in general.

Short of the 3 page thread above: most features in any CAD packages has to happen in series and cannot execute in parallel. ( i used series and parallel for simplicity sake).

Some features in various CAD packages are multicore/multithreaded like rendering, FEA solvers, CAM, rendering engines, translating or opening files. However, shelling a part or adding fillets seems to have to take place in a particular order (for lack of a better word) and that order apparently cannot be broken up and spread out as the modeling kernals that are being used in the industry are not capable of doing so. It might be the underlying mathematics that has to occur or it could be sticking to a linear method of solving most features is what preserves topology and your modelling intent.

You'd really have to ask the kernal developers for the real nuts and bolts of it.

For now, if you strictly model - fastest clock speed with good cache ram you can get.

If you need to render, perform analysis, export for CAM, etc, on your models after making them and don't like to wait multiple core for sure.

Max

Administrator
Staff member
Multithreading is very difficult to do in CAD, and only particular operations would support it. For example, when you are projecting 3 drawing views at once you could have 1 core take each view, but you could not have 3 cores take 1 view. Other examples of possible candidates for threading include regeneration of models in an assembly (each core could regenerate a part at a time), assembly loading and faceting, generating section views of assembly parts, and global operations that affect multiple parts, such as an assembly cut. Things like making complex, time consuming fillets will in general remain unaffected, as would most general part modeling.

rollin45

It takes nine months for a woman to give birth, throwing nine women at the problem doesn't result in a quicker birth.

:mrgreen:

rollin'

mshideler

@rollin 45:

but, it takes one woman to nag her husband around 50 years to kill him. Throwing 10 nagging women at him will kill him in less than 5 years. :twisted: