What's new

v2015.1.1 Bill of Material Bug?

domcm

After upgrading to v2015.1.1, all of the bill of materials (BOM) and balloon call-outs in my drawings are messed up. Does anyone have a drawing with bill of materials and balloons they could open in the new version to see if it is just me? See attached for an example of what I am seeing.

Attachments

• bom_bug.jpg
    bom_bug.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 104
Good morning, I am seeing the same problem. I just printed a drawing and I'm getting gyp from production because the numbers don't tie up.
Hope it's fixed soon.

domcm

Geomagic support has confirmed this is a bug in the new version. Here is their reply:

This appears to be a bug that our QA team is currently reviewing and investigating. Unfortunately, the only current workaround is the re-sequence the BOM and generate new call outs. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused, but I will keep you updated on this issue if there are any updates.

domcm

For those of us that do production drawings, this is a showstopper bug. Opening drawings in v2015.1.1 will corrupt all of the bill of material data and change the callout balloon numbers to question marks. There is apparently no way to fix this without starting over. I have not received any feedback from Geomagic on when this bug will be fixed.

JST

Alibre Super User
domcm said:
For those of us that do production drawings, this is a showstopper bug. .....

Absolutely agree, and will not be updating until this is fixed.

It really ought to be an absolutely top priority fix... NO EXCUSE for it, as it apparently ruins past work.

domcm

Yes, it will corrupt all of your drawings with bill of materials and balloon callouts. If you don't have a hard copy or PDF of the drawing, you will waste many hours trying to figure out what changed and then have to redo everything.

domcm

Just an update on this. I did hear from Geomagic support last week as they requested another copy of the files I sent. They did not give any indication of when the bug would be fixed.

One somewhat concerning thing I noticed is that the same bug occurs in the older v2015.0.1 version if the file is zipped and unzipped or if you use the Geomagic Package format. Has anyone else seen this bug with the older version?

Here are the steps:

Method 1
1. Open a drawing containing a bill of materials and balloons in the older v2015.0.1 version
2. Using the Geomagic "Save As" command create a new copy of the drawing with all parts and assemblies to a new folder.
3. Zip the folder up
4. Unzip the folder
5. Open the drawing in Geomagic and the bill of material and balloons are messed up

Method 2
1. Open a drawing containing a bill of materials and balloons in the older v2015.0.1 version
2. Using the Geomagic "Package" command, create a package
3. Open the package in Geomagic
4. Open the drawing in Geomagic and the bill of material and balloons are messed up

JST

Alibre Super User
Dunno anything about it, as I have not seen that, due to not zipping nor packaging anything with a BOM yet.. But I FOR SURE APPRECIATE THE WARNING!

I would be very irritated if I had done that and found the problem. Now we know not to do it.

Definitely your posts on this deserve "likes" for warning of very bad problems that would take a lot of time and work to fix.

domcm said:
For those of us that do production drawings, this is a showstopper bug. Opening drawings in v2015.1.1 will corrupt all of the bill of material data and change the callout balloon numbers to question marks. There is apparently no way to fix this without starting over. I have not received any feedback from Geomagic on when this bug will be fixed.

Good morning all,
For me this is also a show stopper. Luckily, I can print out the drawings without re-projecting the views, but if I need to actually make changes then that will be a big problem.
Like you, I reported this but have not had a reply, other than a confirmation email. Hopefully soon.

domcm

It's been over a month since I submitted this bug so I thought I would give an update. I spoke with the Geomagic's Director of Customer Services last Friday and he said that they have:

escalated this internally and our Development and QA teams are currently reviewing it. I do know that members in QA were investigating this recently in trying to determine the cause.

He also had me try an experimental fix that apparently worked for one customer but it did not work for me. It involved re-installing a specific Geomagic Design version and cleaning the registry.

All I can say is that the more folks that contact technical support and express their frustration with this issue, the quicker it will get fixed.

domcm

For those of you that have been affected by this bug, I spoke again today with Geomagic technical support. They can still not say if or when it will be fixed. From their response, it sounds like they are too busy working on other 3D Systems software products. This has been a big deal for me because I have a lot of legacy drawings with Bill of Materials and every legacy drawing that I open is messed-up. It has been over three months since this was reported.

My plan at this point is to move to a different CAD package. I really like Geomagic Design but have lost faith that 3D Systems has a company culture dedicated to customer support. Maybe things will change but, at this point, I need a back-up plan.

GIOV

Alibre Super User
domcm said:
I have a lot of legacy drawings with Bill of Materials and every legacy drawing that I open is messed-up.
My suggestion is:
for those files with old version do not open with the new one. try to use other computer with the version that are ok for these files & drawing. If you are using a new version do not replace the original files. make a new one. I have some experience.
I have confidence support right now is hearing you.
I hope this help. :)

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Hi All,

I'm trying to determine if 2015.0.0 has this bug. I don't use BOMs just yet, but may very soon.

I created a package in v2014 and opened it in 2015.0.0. The balloons look ok and enumeration/parts looks ok.

I created another package from those unpacked files using 2015.0.0 to make the new package. I opened the new package and the drawing looks ok. Does that mean the bug is not in v2015.0.0?

Package from 2015.0.0 is here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jymuobrkcf0ha7 ... 0.0.AD_PKG

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
screenshot of opened drawing from package saved in 2015.0.0

(note: item 1 not called out)

Attachments

• 2016-02-15_12-34-22.png
    2016-02-15_12-34-22.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 21

domcm

Yes, I experienced a similar issue with package files. I posted the following earlier in this forum string. I notified Geomagic support about it in Oct 2015.

One somewhat concerning thing I noticed is that the same bug occurs in the older v2015.0.1 version if the file is zipped and unzipped or if you use the Geomagic Package format. Has anyone else seen this bug with the older version

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Yes, I'm not seeing it in the slightly earlier 2015.0.0, unless I'm doing the package process wrong.

I'll try with the zipping method in a bit.

Ralf

Alibre Super User
Tyler,

I opened your PKG file with V2015.0.1 -> No problem -> Save ( in a new folder)
(No *.zip files, no PKG files are created.)

I opened the V2015.0.1 files with V2015.1.1

Callouts are ???
Item Numbers are ???
The numbering was changed from 1-12 to 13-24
Bug!

Attachments

• 2015.1.1.png
    2015.1.1.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2014-2015.01-2015.1.1.png
    2014-2015.01-2015.1.1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 24

Ralf

Alibre Super User
BUT, if I open your V2015.0.0 PKG file, directly with V2015.1.1 (without saving in V2015.01) no problem.

Attachments

• V2015.1.1_direct.png
    V2015.1.1_direct.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 14

TylerDurden

Alibre Super User
Thanks Ralf,

I did not see the bug when packing/unpacking in 2015.0.0 as per David Mc's directions.

I *did* see the bug using the zip-file method as per David Mc's directions:

So, at first blush it seems I have the bug in 2015.0.0, but only half as bad...(?) :?

Attachments

• 2016-02-15_17-14-12.png
    2016-02-15_17-14-12.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 10