What's new

v21 is now live

JST

Alibre Super User
So, I updated, and it was almost trouble-free and error free.

The installer did NOT put it on the taskbar as requested. Actually it DID, but then after closing that item would not work, and Windows automatically deleted it. Easily fixed.

My toolbar selection came through OK this time, unlike last time. No major disruptions observed.

I DO NOT SEE the "window clipping" that was mentioned elsewhere. At least, if it is present, it is not removing anything useful, no button, icon, etc appears to be reduced in size in any way.

Will probably be weeks before I have exercised most features, so no clue on most yet. But nothing standard has failed so far.

Still only using it on copies of the projects, but nothing jumps out at me. No problems opening the biggest projects, no odd display issues

Have not looked to see if the constraints menu can be made to come up to selectable default settings, I hope that is the case.

Nice to have an "undo" on the same constraint pop-up, that saves a lot of "tap dancing centipede action".

Last edited:

KMoffett

Tried to upgrade from V19 to V21 via the "Utilities" and "Check for updates". Looked like it was starting to work, then it errored, saying that it needed to be to run as administrator (not a quote, did not do a screen print). There was no option to select administrator. I then downloaded the install file from Alibre's web page, and was able to select "Run as administrator" for that file in the Download direcrory list. That worked.

Last edited:

BrianE.Evans

I am having trouble adapting to the new constraint feature, parts tend to explode as the new constraint is added , if you anchor them, then the constraint over defined flag comes up. Checking the instructions , they are for the old constraints which I liked.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Check to see if Minimum Motion Mode is selected in the Tool menu. If it isn't, select it and see if that makes a difference.

Checking the instructions , they are for the old constraints which I liked.
o_O Where are you looking for the instructions? The Help has all the new constraints in it.

New Constraint Help.png

JST

Alibre Super User
I am having trouble adapting to the new constraint feature, parts tend to explode as the new constraint is added , if you anchor them, then the constraint over defined flag comes up. Checking the instructions , they are for the old constraints which I liked.
The overconstrained will always come on for an anchored part. Not for a constrained part. But anchoring is lots easier to do, and to undo, so I do that also, and just ignore the overconstrained errors.

Usually, once you have a few constraints between parts of an assembly, it will no longer fly around in response to each new constraint, so you may be able to remove the "anchor".

BrianE.Evans

When I went to the help file to look for instructions for the assembly constraint dialogue , it had the old version, not the version HaroldL posted. I will go back and look to see if that has been revised. I the meantime Harold's screen grab gives me the info I need, Thanks. I looked in the help right after I uploaded an old part drawn in V19. I ended up having to take all of the assembled parts off the base of the feature, then re assemble without constraints, that worked, the new version appears to add some constraints as you position the parts. I am now doing more sub assemblies, which have fewer parts, then importing those into the assembly, that seems to improve the assembly process.