What's new

[V21 SP1] Shaded and Draft Views in 2D Drawing not rendering - RESOLVED

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If you select an a view on a 2D drawing, and select Standard, you get ...

upload_2020-5-7_0-38-18.png

if you select Draft or Shaded you just get the centre lines, nothing else!...

upload_2020-5-7_0-39-18.png

This is in HOOPS mode. Don't remember having this issue before (or seeing this issue in the forum!)

Edit : Same for any view type including sections.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

Does the item in question have any inter-design constraints and also more than on configuration?

Are you seeing this behaviour in drawings of other items?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Does the item in question have any inter-design constraints and also more than on configuration
No, it was a single part (made to help another post!), which I created a basic drawing from.

Are you seeing this behaviour in drawings of other items?
Not tried it on an extisting part or existing drawing (from an earlier release), this was a part and drawing made new in v21 sp1. I'll do some more investigation today.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon, have any colours for the part (part, or face) been set to a zero or very low opacity?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@DavidJ, It was created from scratch in V21 SP1 (build 21034) and I've created the attached package from within the 2D Drawing workspace, so hopefully it includes the associated part. Can you open it and try change the View Type in the drawing and see what you get? (on any of the views!)

Model is @papajoe41's design from another post which I have created, hope it's ok to share! I can remove it if not.

Attachments

• Arm Control Head.AD_PKG
    77.4 KB · Views: 6

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

It all behaves as expected here - draft and shaded views display normally.....

Just for a laugh, try extracting your own package and see what happens....

simonb65

Alibre Super User
No change! I'm looking at it in HOOPS mode, not legacy ... if that's any different to you?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Interestingly, just opened the package on my laptop (V21 SP1) and it works as expected!!!), it's only my desktop that it doesn't work on! At least I have something to compare against to hunt down the issue.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
HOOPS mode here too. On my desktop with GTX1050 Ti

If this started after installing v21 sp1, then I'd maybe suggest uninstall, re-boot, a take a fresh download of the installer & 'Run as Administrator'.

or try re-setting user profile ( Alibre makes a backup when you do that, so you can 'go back' if it hasn't helped).

simonb65

Alibre Super User
RESOLVED

BINGO!
... it doesn't draw draft or shaded if the Advanced 2D Rendering is Disabled!

If this is a mandatory requirement for the rendering of those view types, then may I suggest that Draft and Shaded should be greyed out if that setting is Disabled! ...

upload_2020-5-7_16-31-51.png

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Ah yes, that would explain it. Why did you turn that off....?
The disabling was originally there to cope with very basic graphics cards that don't support the 'pixel shader' (or whatever it's called) that is required for draft and shaded views. At least that's my memory of it....

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Why did you turn that off....?
I didn't! It was working fine in v2019, I can only think that it changed during an update or install of the v21 beta?? I didn't install the beta on my laptop, just went from v2019 to V21-21033 and that's ok.

As I suggested, maybe if its Disabled, it should disable the additional (advanced) views and default to drawing the standard view or warn you when you select draft or shaded. Would be a little more user friendly and less of an ongoing support query.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Simon,

If advanced 2D rendering is disabled, the option to produced draft or shaded views is disabled (in view creation dialogue).

If you open a 2D drawing containing draft or shaded views, you'll get a warning that it can't be rendered due to lack of appropriate hardware.

The 'gap' seems to be if you try to flip view type from the context menu when you have a drawing open.

[EDIT - QA is aware, and discussing with Development]

Last edited:
Maybe this should be on a new thread but I'm having a similar issue except the draft view isn't exporting when I export to PDF. Any thoughts?

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
What do you mean exactly by 'Export to PDF' - are you using Print, or Publish ? What PDF application is set in System Options -> Drawings ?

Publish to PDF. I'm using the built-in PDF writer. That's what we've had the best results with. I also switched the view to both shaded and standard and it exported fine in both cases but it just doesn't show up on the PDF if it's draft.

Edit: As a side-note, the standard view showing hidden lines, when exported to PDF, is practically identical to Alibre's draft view showing hidden lines. In Alibre the hidden lines on standard views are dotted but when exported to PDF show thinner, solid and slightly gray which is how the draft views render in Alibre.
So that will work for my purposes for the moment but I still thought it would be good to report that the draft views weren't exporting.

Last edited:

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Try Print (using a PDF app) instead.

Draft views are intended to speed up refresh whilst editing the drawing, they are not intended for final printout. I believe that if you Print, Draft views automatically switch to Normal. You should probably report the draft view behaviour to support. I couldn't say if it has always behaved like that, or if this is a change from previous versions.