What's new

v21 supported on Win7 ?

DLaviana

Yes, the new features in v21 look good. Far more useful to the engineering design process than "beautiful graphics" and realtime lightweight display.

My question is - will v21 be supported on Windows 7? Several months ago Max indicated that once MS ended support, Alibre would probably follow soon. I'm on the fence about renewing my maintenance for Alibre, but I am definitely not moving to Windows 10.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
I am definitely not moving to Windows 10.
Why not? Upgrade whilst its still free. You'll have to upgrade at some point or be left extremely vunerable! Application developers can't keep supporting an obsolete OS indefinitly, it doesn't make economic sense and new features need the new OS platform core functionatlity. If you don't upgrade your OS, then don't bother updating the applications!

Mika

Win10 is way more better than win7. For example.. make a "search" in a deep folder structure. Win10 finds easily the names what your looking, win7 not...and many more things are way more easier.

oilman

I was in the same boat as DLaviana sometime ago. I held off on upgrading as long as I could... until one of the programs I used dropped support for Windows 7. Some programs have dropped support even before Microsoft did recently.

Windows 10 has grown on me - to the point now where I'd prefer to use it over Windows 7. The transition was annoying for a week or two, but I quickly realized there are things it does better than Windows 7.

Plus, there are ways to make it look like Windows 7 if you're worried about getting lost in the updated GUI :)

Mika

Just like sandpaper and saltwater for new car painting. Get authentic feeling...

JST

Alibre Super User
Biggest problem with 10 so far is that it freezes up every so often, just does nothing for periods of from 5 to 30 seconds.... Very annoying, causes dropouts in typed text, and can play heck with things in CAD.

That is a "feature" that 7 did NOT have, and I could do without it.

Supposedly there is a workaround, or fix.....

JamesMC

Biggest problem with 10 so far is that it freezes up every so often, just does nothing for periods of from 5 to 30 seconds.... Very annoying, causes dropouts in typed text, and can play heck with things in CAD.

That is a "feature" that 7 did NOT have, and I could do without it.

Supposedly there is a workaround, or fix.....
My new Laptop did that, it was the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry causing it, so I turned it off in the task scheduler.
It might be doing the same thing to your machine.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Win7 used to freeze (windows indexing service) all the time on all my pc's, not had Win10 skip a beat at all. If fact go further and say that Win10 runs and boots faster than Win7 ever did.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure to turn off all the 'live tiles' in Win10 - the default set of these in a typical Win10 install can noticeably affect performance.

JST

Alibre Super User
Make sure to turn off all the 'live tiles' in Win10 - the default set of these in a typical Win10 install can noticeably affect performance.

Is that the crap that pops up with suggestions randomly? I've been looking for the setting to get rid of that.

Thought I had the telemetry turned off, maybe not al of it.

Have to agree, Win 7 was near perfect. Worked very well, recovered from S/W problems well, and had less "helpful garbage" than 10.

And 7 never froze up.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
JST - no, I was referring the tiles on the start screen that are dynamically changing to show latest news, current weather, or just animate between different games. A standard Win10 install has many of these using up resources.

Right click on the tile and 'Turn off Live Tile'.

anson

Can someone answer the original question? Will I actually need to upgrade to run V21. Some of my hardware is hardly worth upgrading and I might as well move CAD to another machine.

dlaery

Alibre Super User
What's the problem with Windows 10? Been using it since it came out 5 years ago. Never had any issues.
for me file management is a nightmare on win10.
I cannot get it to share files over the network or save files on another computer on the network.
I have 2 win10 computers on the network and 5 win 7
I can't see that it is better just different, I don't like change, just improvements.