What's new

v23 - Alibre just hangs after selecting an edge to fillet

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Yet another issue when using Alibre for long periods of time. In this instance I created a new part, was just getting round to filleting the edges when selecting an edge caused Alibre to want to 'Update Annotations and Redline' (the same cyclic operation that just kicks in after about 9 hours of continuous usage) ... an operation it really didn't want to finish!

It's quite apparent, that performance wise, Alibre really doesn't like keeping up with my pace of work!

1636203270120.png

Task Manager ...

1636203230069.png

I hope v24 is much, much, much better than this!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
After 25 minutes, windows has suspended the Alibre task due to the amount of memory resources its now consuming ...

1636204889325.png

Alibre has either ... a) timing/thread locking issues and/or b) a memory leak issue.

No application should end up in an endless loop without a timeout or 'get out' option, especially one that is a background process that the user has zero control over.

Task now killed, part and 1 hour of work lost. Not happy again today. I have notice more issues working with Alibre constantly over the last few weeks that I've ever seen in the past. If I could just finish this project, I'd happily run the v24 beta until it screams for mercy! Alibre is now the most frustrating tool to use that I use in my business. Microchips MPLAB X comes a very close second!

BTW: Has anyone else noticed that when filleting in v23, some adjacent edges become unselectable if edges are selected in the wrong order? (even the mouse hover and cursor doesn't acknowledge that there is an edge geometry under the mouse ... mismatch between displayed and internal geometry data structure perhaps!)

Last edited:

JST

Alibre Super User
It seems to be a memory leak of long standing.

I routinely close Alibre and restart. Usually I do that at a logical stopping point when I notice it getting slow. Sometimes I wait too long and it just quits....oops. If it does not quit, it seems to get unreliable, and do odd things.

It may be something to do with interaction of Alibre with the OS memory swapping. When Alibre has gobbled up all the memory after a considerable time of working, the OS starts swapping to disk, and Alibre may not play well with that, even though it is supposed to be transparent (aside from a delay depending on whether you have a HDD or solid state).

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I have noticed that Alibre will sometimes go into a constant updating process when I am trying to apply a new feature. That's really annoying and something I recall being told was addressed in v24. I do hope that it gets taken care of. It's bad enough when working on hobby projects, I don't think I could put up with it if the project was business related and time critical.

JST

Alibre Super User
.................... I don't think I could put up with it if the project was business related and time critical.

You've got that right...... Crazy stuff and "extra required clicks"................ I just figured out that they occupy maybe 20 to 25 minutes of an 8 hour day, if they only add 5% more time to deal with them.