What's new

V23 - Sweep Bug !?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Anyone else seen this issue, where the geometry goes the opposite way along the path from the sweep sketch? (no, it's not just the preview!)...

upload_2021-9-25_12-31-57.png

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
Does the path definitely at least meet the plane that the profile is sketched on?

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Does the path definitely at least meet the plane that the profile is sketched on?
Yes. I "worked around the issue! by deleting both sketches and redrawing them. I suspect the 'Normal' for the sweep sketch was the wrong way round or some other core engine bug!

EDIT: If the path sketch didn't meet the profile sketch plane, I would have expected an error message and/or the sweep should have not happened at all!

On a side note, I find the 'Extend' very temperamental when extending arcs. It sometime doesn't want to go in on direction, so I have to extend all the way round the circle and then trim sections out!! Not sure if this is an issue that others have seen, but I've seen it quite a lot in v23.

Last edited:

bigseb

Alibre Super User
Yes I have seen this before. Don't use sweeps a lot but it has happened. Kind of like when you do an extrude 'to surface' and it goes the other way (extrude to surface still doesn't work btw.)

JST

Alibre Super User
In recent versions of Alibre, it seems that almost everything initially chooses the direction that I do NOT want.

Constraints do it, for sure, and some of them do not allow reversing, so they are mostly worthless. The "offset free" was the last one I noticed (it has no reversal allowed), but "coincident" does it most of the time, and I do not recall that the fastener constraint has EVER chosen the correct orientation by default..... it ALWAYS places the bolt with the head buried n the part, and the shank sticking out.

JST

Alibre Super User
Does not surprise me that other things, such as sweeps, are like that as well. Although, I have never seen a sweep do that.

The issue brought up above, about "normal", is a significant one. At some times, Alibre seems to try to tell you which way things will go by default, but when I need to know it, that info seems not to be available. Or, I don't know how to find it.

I have gotten to where I just click the "reverse" button, so that I can see where the part will go. It's an extra click or two, which I hate, but it beats having to close the constraint window and edit the last constraint, which is a number of clicks.

The problem is that in some cases when the reverse button is present and apparently active, it is actually non-functional. I recently posted about one such case, but there are others.

Not quite;);)

Might as well be every time.... I placed a lot of them recently, and maybe 5% did not do that.