What's new

V24 - Adding Text throws a sketch problem, but Analyse Sketch shows no issues!

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Add text to the sketch ...

1639922812146.png

Deactivate the sketch ...

1639922839141.png

Edit the sketch and select Analyse with all options checked ...

1639922887952.png
So, what's the detected problem Alibre? Even tried fully constraining the BBW and ABS text, still no difference!

Still lets me Extrude Cut the sketch as expected, but complains there are errors ...

1639923204037.png

Wish I'd had time to run the Beta. This is just my first day using V24, I suspect I'm going to find lots of these niggly issues!

dlaery

Alibre Super User
I have a terrible time with extruded boss or cut text.
if you explode the text then it usually shows a problem or more, but then the extrude dosent' work. some of the problems I have had are overlapping lines I try to delete 1, but does not fix, i have to delete and redraw the line or curve that is probmatic. so if it works don't explode i juess.

DavidJ

Administrator
Staff member
The warning is a cautionary one - it isn't saying there is definitely a problem. Use of symbols can cause problems in some cases, so it's just saying 'watch out for unexpected behaviour'. If you do see odd behaviour, exploding symbols may help to resolve it.

Simon - you may remember one of your tickets where an imported symbol caused a logo to end up on the wrong plane. That's the kind of weird stuff that can happen.

Not directly related, but most standard fonts are not designed for use in CAD or CNC - typically a few letters in each font will include overlaps, intersections etc.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
The warning is a cautionary one - it isn't saying there is definitely a problem. Use of symbols can cause problems in some cases, so it's just saying 'watch out for unexpected behaviour'. If you do see odd behaviour, exploding symbols may help to resolve it.

Simon - you may remember one of your tickets where an imported symbol caused a logo to end up on the wrong plane. That's the kind of weird stuff that can happen.

Not directly related, but most standard fonts are not designed for use in CAD or CNC - typically a few letters in each font will include overlaps, intersections etc.
The ticket I raised was fonts imported from CorelDRAW as a DXF file. However, this is a standard Windows font, nothing particularly special or imported, so I would expect either AD to gracefully handle this or at least tell me what the actual issue is. As it stands, neither happen ...

1639935580236.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If I explode the text, the issue does disappear, but now I can't position or constrain the text in the way the text is supposed to be, it's lost all the benefits of using the text tool ... so exploding a standard Windows font is not really desirable, and wasn't (I have never encountered it) a problem in previous versions!

1639935901750.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
If it's not a problem to solving the geometry, why the popup? If it can extrude it, why the warning? By popping up, it has caused more confusion and doubt than if it hadn't! It's doesn't make logical sense, but internally Alibre had a reason to doubt the geometry ... Alibre just needs to pass that informed wisdom onto the user or just keep quiet ... or add to the analysis tool the extra checks to flag this to the user as the popup and analysis tool are contradicting one another!

Contradiction ...
1639936620652.png

simonb65

Alibre Super User
File added if anyone wants to see what they get if you enter edit mode on Sketch<4>, then regenerate (F5). This is in the state shown in post #1, before exploding perfectly good text!

File is V24 Expert format.

Attachments

• Test Fixture Control Panel.AD_PRT
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Right ... the issue I'm seeing is because of the option ...

1639937526558.png

However, there needs to be a change in the title of the popup as this is not "A Sketch Problem Detected", it needs to be worded differently, i.e "Sketch Contains Text and Figures". It is a different case to an automatic sketch analysis (a sketch Error) and a sketch warning. The popup currently implies/states a problem, when it actually isn't. Caught me out and I have every confidence that a newbie would be too. Maybe an visual icon to show the severity of Error or Warning in the popup would go along way too!

oldfox

Alibre Super User
When I went to Edit, I got that error message with 2 Options. Don't show... or Ignore. Either one would allow Regen with no issues. The Don't show... option also deselects the highlighted
option you circled in post #9. That has the same effect as unchecking the box in "General". And it stayed off for subsequent sketches.

Mika

I usually ”simplify” the sketch when it becomes problematic…have you tried to make those text cutouts one by one? Own sketch for each three texts…

simonb65

Alibre Super User
@oldfox , the issue is that it appeared that that check box would hide ALL errors, due to the title of the popup I wasn't aware, until now that there are 2 types of error/warning that share the same popup, so checking to hide at the time would have been hiding all sketch checking popups. I now know that is not the case, but not because of a clear concise popup!

@Mika, text on totally separate feature would be the best option, but still doesn't fix the confusing popup messaging.

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
Clarifying the pop ups is necessary since that is not the only confusing pop up. There is one for the Sketched Bend in sheet metal that states that the bend cannot be completed with the sketch provided when it really is the alignment of the flange and/or the direction it will be bent. If you take the warning as it is stated you could spend a lot of time trying to fix a sketch that has nothing wrong with it.