What's new

[V24] Extrude Boss - Draft Angle Limitation? [Answered]

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just trying a solution for another forum users post and discovered that draft angle has a limit of 59.999 Degrees on this particular part ...

1647867522120.png

If you increase the angle from 59 to, you get ...

1647867605831.png

It doesn't matter if you have 3D preview on or off, it seems to be an underlying geometry thing!

Does anyone know why this is a limitation? @DavidJ, @Max ? The limitation I would expect is when the draft angle reaches the point that the 'Depth' of the extrusion can't be met.

Attachments

• Extrude Boss - Draft Angle Limitation.AD_PRT
    260.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

simonb65

Alibre Super User
It's an ACIS limitation.
Thanks @Max. For it's intended purpose, used as a true engineering draft angle, it doesn't make sense to go further. I was just curious if it could be used to create a multi sided taper without using chamfers! ... In hindsight, not the right tool for the particular modelling problem, but you never know until you try these things! :)

Enhancement Suggestion : If that limit a fixed +/- angle (-60 > angle < +60?), then maybe one improvement could be that the EditBox for setting the draft angle is enhanced to either stop you entering out of range values or just highlight the box to warn you it's not in the valid range and that's the parameter that is stopping you applying the feature.

Last edited:

HaroldL

Alibre Super User
I remember running into this same limitation of the draft angle some time ago. It seems odd that the angle is limited to 59.999 degrees why not just set it to 60? But as I was told at the time and as Max reconfirmed, it's an ACIS limitation.
There is Draft that will go beyond the 59.999° limit. but sometimes it would seem like a shortcut to getting a tapered extrusion feature without a secondary operation.

Enhancement Suggestion : If that limit a fixed +/- angle (-60 > angle < +60?), then maybe one improvement could be that the EditBox for setting the draft angle is enhanced to either stop you entering out of range values or just highlight the box to warn you it's not in the valid range and that's the parameter that is stopping you applying the feature.
+1 Good Idea, it takes the guesswork out of an eventual failure.

simonb65

Alibre Super User
Just for this topic completeness, it does actually state the draft angle limitation in the current help documentation (topic last updated on 12/1/2021) ...

1647891383046.png