What's new

V9.0 Date?

cclark440

Alibre Super User
V9.0 Date?

Does anyone have an idea has to when V9.0 will be along?
Just curious.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, I must have missed the thread.

swertel

Alibre Super User

Actually, many inquiring minds want to know.

It basically came down to questioning the priority of v9 vs. Xpress and how some AD users were feeling left out of the hype. I wish I had the answer, but maybe a carrot here will lighten the load on my inbox (which will soon be slowing down to DSL speeds from Broadband cable, so less is better.)

--Scott

cclark440

Alibre Super User

WOW

130+ looks at this thread but no more input :?:

I guess the Alibre people aren't vegetarians , not even a carrot :!:

jemmej

I thought I've seen November as a possible release date. I'll have to check on that, I think a post from Greg somewhere...of course, its all tentative.

Jim

jemmej

Hmm...now, who posted this.... :wink:

V8.2 is due out end of May, beginning of June.

V9.0 is tentatively scheduled for November 2005.

Hint...his initials are S.W.

8)

Jim

P.S. 8-10 months from release of v8.0 is a good calculation too.

laviniu

Alibre 9.0 - will it ported to J# .NET ?

I've read this "Microsoft customer success story" about Alibre on one of MSDN sites about them (Alibre) porting the application to J#. Has anybody any rumors/confirmation of the .NET port?

Thanks,
Laviniu

siggy

J# and .net rolled out quite some time ago - like 3-4 YEARS ago. As part of the Microsoft Java / Sun settlement MS sould no longer support the old MS Java implementation so many companies ported their MSJ apps to J# or SUN Java. So, it would be a safe bet that this occurred long long ago.

Robert

swertel

Alibre Super User

My ears were burning. Has someone been using my initials in vain?

AD 1.0, April 2000
AD 2.0, Oct 2000 (6 months from previous version)
AD 3.0, June 2001 (8 months from previous)
AD 3.1, Aug 2001 (3 months for dot release)
AD 4.0, April 2002 (10 months from previous full release)
AD 5.0, Sept 2002 (5 months and this is where AD turned CAD)
AD 5.1, Dec 2002 (3 months for dot release)
AD 6.0, March 2003 (6 months from full release)
AD 7.0, Nov 2003 (8 months)
AD 8.0, Sept 2004 (10 months)
AD 8.2, June 2005 (9 months and like a full release, but only a dot)

So, there are two possible choices here because of the 8.2 release. Either we count 10 months average from 8.0, and 9.0 should be July 2005 - which we know we didn't get. Or, we count 10 months from 8.2, and 9.0 should be March 2006. But that's only if history serves.

--Scott

Re:

siggy said:
J# and .net rolled out quite some time ago - like 3-4 YEARS ago. As part of the Microsoft Java / Sun settlement MS sould no longer support the old MS Java implementation so many companies ported their MSJ apps to J# or SUN Java. So, it would be a safe bet that this occurred long long ago.

I'm no expert on the Microsoft technology-of-the-month game, but I suspect Alibre Design is still based on Microsoft's almost-Java. It still requires Microsoft's almost-Java VM, and it does *not* require the "Microsoft .NET Framework". I think it's a safe bet that the switch from Microsoft almost-Java to Microsoft J# and .NET will be one of the big changes in 9.0.

I read the same Microsoft "Success Story" a while back. It amused me that Microsoft touts Alibre's switch to J# as a "success", when it's Microsoft's own failed attempts at the decommoditization of Java that forced Alibre to make that switch.

sbenzie

I`m pretty sure the answer is no, as I had a trawled through previous posts BUT does alibre every put out a list of enhancements they are working on ??

This happens with some other packages I work with and for which you pay a maintance charge. Some of the items never make it to final release, it`s just nice to know what improvements might be are coming up ??

Regards,
Scott

A

Anonymous

There has been a lot of talk about the inclusion of configurations in the next release. They are also working on an updated sheetmetal package.

mrehmus

In an e-mail to me regarding the Parts Library, Alibre announced the release of AD 8.2 Service Pack 2 in November.

indesign

Alibre Super User
Re:

sbenzie said:
I`m pretty sure the answer is no, as I had a trawled through previous posts BUT does alibre every put out a list of enhancements they are working on ??

This happens with some other packages I work with and for which you pay a maintance charge. Some of the items never make it to final release, it`s just nice to know what improvements might be are coming up ??

Regards,
Scott

That would be a tricky thing to do. If cad company 'A' said they were introducing new features A1,A2,A3 then Cad company 'B' would have to add those features as well or they would have to better them. This is why so many manufactures keep a closed lid on new products. Couldn't have another company taking it away from you or bettering yours just because they know whats coming.

Look at Apple vs Microsoft. Marketing is an industry in itself. Hmmmm.....Apply OS X(unix).....now there could be an operating system for Alibre to use... :wink:

Uman

Configurations would be a great plus plus. If I understand .....that means variations of models, without changing the "core" design, would be possible. I hope this allows us to modify a design and still keep the parent design in tact. We have products that can be accessorized and customized.
Any inside info on this feature for V9?

Jeff in Florida

dak70

Re:

Uman said:
Configurations would be a great plus plus. If I understand .....that means variations of models, without changing the "core" design, would be possible. I hope this allows us to modify a design and still keep the parent design in tact. We have products that can be accessorized and customized.
Any inside info on this feature for V9?

Jeff in Florida

Configurations generally refers to the ability to manipulate an assembly with certain parts configured in diferent locations relative to the function of the assembly. This allows clearances to be varified, pre and post assembly "configuration" of the same asy file.

Denis Kansier
Carson Product Design, LLC.

moyesboy

Alibre Super User

Configurations, as they work in other cad systems can refer to assemblies and to individual parts.
You might have a part that has different holes driled in it depending on what is fitted in the final assembly - so you have a single part with mutiple configurations that define the various hole patterns.

Then the assembly will have several configuration that call up the different parts and quantities of parts to suit.
This might have a BOM with several columns for the quantity.

All common engineering practise.

To see what functionality Alibre includes in v9 configurations we must wait and see.